Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield sun blocking options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving for a while now, I noticed that the visors are borderline helpful
Need additional help in the morning, with the sun coming up, it finds ways to get around the rear view mirror.
Anybody put a partial tint strip up in the middle or a full strip up?
do I have any other options?

I've not personally done it, but in other threads you'll see reference to people that have tinted the full windshield. Here in CA, that of course is illegal. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe your legal option is to apply a non-reflective (and IIRC non-red or amber) tint to the top 4" of the windshield. Detail is in DMV Section 26708, including how dark that tint can be, should it matter in your decision.

Good luck!

Your VIN suggests a mid-2013 build, and thus the original slim visors. I had the same issue on my S85, and brought it up to my service advisor, who was gracious enough to replace them with the current version, which is larger and offers more coverage. YMMV.

Your VIN suggests a mid-2013 build, and thus the original slim visors. I had the same issue on my S85, and brought it up to my service advisor, who was gracious enough to replace them with the current version, which is larger and offers more coverage. YMMV.

I test drove a new 70D recently and thought the visors were lacking in sun coverage so I can't imagine the old ones being worse! I wonder if seat position/height of driver might cause more problem for some drivers. I'm 5'4" and that's probably shorter than most Tesla drivers.

- - - Updated - - -

I've not personally done it, but in other threads you'll see reference to people that have tinted the full windshield. Here in CA, that of course is illegal. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe your legal option is to apply a non-reflective (and IIRC non-red or amber) tint to the top 4" of the windshield.

Hmm I'll have to look into a full windshield tint for CO. The top 4" sounds like a good idea.