Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Sun Shade For The Inept & Irritable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for helping. This is not about "Best Quality" or "Cheapest". This forum has those answers well covered in other threads. Instead let's pretend I'm short, impatient, somewhat uncoordinated, and only using a sun shade because the HOA is making me. I'll cooperate a little, but I'll get cranky if it's hard to install and more cranky if it's difficult to remove and store, and I'm really not going to want to be getting in and out of the car to unfold/install, or remove/fold. If I get cranky about this I'm going to make absolutely certainly you know I'm unhappy about it, and I'll make you stop some of your favorite hobbies. Once I'm done w/that I'll stop using it and lie to you, and if you challenge me I'll restart the pain process.

So, now that we're in this little pretend space is the best answer to my, and thus your, happiness:

1) A folding Covercraft
2) A twist/spin like the Basenor / Chirano
3) Roll-up like the HeatShield

Again, not cost, quality, or an appearance question. This is only about what style won't piss me off installing and uninstalling it while sitting inside the car. Sure I could buy all three and will before the HOA and I have a total melt-down, but if I can find success with less hassle that would be great!

Thanks for your thoughts,

-d

Since you have 3 clear choices here, I am surprised you did not make this a poll thread....

(short moderator note -- it looks like I could change it to a poll if you wanted that, with your choices above, but not sure what it will do to the existing thread.. never tried it)

In any case, given the stipulations / scenario you laid out, my vote would be for option 2 (an inexpensive twist type).

=====================================

Reasons:

1. option one is (imo at least) the "best" at heat rejection, but is also the most cumbersome to use on a daily basis. I have these (covercraft) and love them, but they dont fit your criteria because they are cumbersome, and also dont fold so have to be kept on the floor behind the front seats to be able to use them when you park (meaning they are in the way if you ever have anyone back there).

2. Option 2 is flimsy and doesnt do that great a job at heat rejection, but is pretty easy to use and doesnt smack people in the head when you use it (or if you do, its very lightly, not a thick covercraft)

3.Option 3 is still cumbersome like option 1, yet does not have the benefits of the exceptional heat rejection of option 1 so is the worst choice to me.

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about, but I vote for option 2 as I have been using similar kinds in my cars for a really long time. But it does take some time to get used to how to fold/unfold so might not fit your criteria of something for someone uncoordinated and impatient.

I'm going to recommend the Eclipse Sun Shade. Windshield Sun Shade | Custom Retractable Car Sun Shade

I've been buying them for my cars and giving them as gifts for a few decades now. They are easy to deploy and stow. Follow the link for details on how they work.

screenshot_192.png