Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wiper Fluid and Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are the same as these BMW tablets which are roughly half sodium carbonate by weight:

People that have used these say they work well as long as you can filter out anything that doesn't completely dissolve. I stick with the blue gallons which are alcohol based.

I was considering what washer fluid to buy. I previously had some blue O'Reilly washer fluid left and it worked fine, but I no longer have enough to top off completely after the car warned as low. Was going to just buy a bottle of whatever was at Home Depot, but it seems they only have the 32+F type and the Rain-X.

I previously used Rain-X (not the washer fluid, but the coating and glass cleaner). It was neat and worked well during driving (where the wind blows off the water beads), but with the car parked, it made fogging/visibility worse for my security cameras (regular Windex worked a whole lot better to prevent fogging), so I stopped using Rain-X and would avoid their washer fluid (from review above it seems it doesn't work quite as well as the blue anyways).

Looking at this thread, I think I'll just stick with O'Reilly. It's interesting Tesla uses tablets, but I don't really see what is the advantage of using them (I guess it takes up less storage space if you have a shop, but that's not really a concern for me given at most I will just have a bottle on hand).

Reactions: TBrownTX
I was considering what washer fluid to buy. I previously had some blue O'Reilly washer fluid left and it worked fine, but I no longer have enough to top off completely after the car warned as low. Was going to just buy a bottle of whatever was at Home Depot, but it seems they only have the 32+F type and the Rain-X.

I previously used Rain-X (not the washer fluid, but the coating and glass cleaner). It was neat and worked well during driving (where the wind blows off the water beads), but with the car parked, it made fogging/visibility worse for my security cameras (regular Windex worked a whole lot better to prevent fogging), so I stopped using Rain-X and would avoid their washer fluid (from review above it seems it doesn't work quite as well as the blue anyways).

Looking at this thread, I think I'll just stick with O'Reilly. It's interesting Tesla uses tablets, but I don't really see what is the advantage of using them (I guess it takes up less storage space if you have a shop, but that's not really a concern for me given at most I will just have a bottle on hand).
The tablets give you some additional cleaning effect over plain water. When a tablet is added to alcohol, you get both cleaning and deicing.

Reactions: rpiotro
I bought some "Splash" windshield washer fluid and it's been fine. I didn't seek out that brand specifically; it just happened to be on the shelf wherever I bought it. (I thought it was at Target, but I don't see that specific brand on Target's Web site, so I may have bought it somewhere else.) I don't think the brand really matters for this application, although I do recall seeing different formulations advertised as remaining liquid to different temperatures. If you live in a very cold climate, you might want to pay attention to that detail.

Using water, as @Jo060 suggests, might work OK in Florida, but wherever the temperature drops below freezing, water would freeze in the winter, so I'd advise against that unless you never travel into such areas. Even if you live in a warm climate, there can be freak weather events, like the Texas ice storm from early 2021.

I agree. Don't use water in Chicago unless you have a garage to put your car in and wait for the ICE to melt....and then drain it out.

Don't ask me how I know.

I will never use RainX again. My wipers were stuttering and jack hammering all over the place. It left some kind of grippy film. I had to use soft-soap (the mildest abrasive I could find) to get it off.

RainX washer fluid works better when you run it on top of RainX treated windshield.
For me, one RainX treatment normally lasts about 6-12 months (depending on which car gets driven more in the rain). With RainX windshield fluid, the same application lasts 1-2 years.

YMMV,
a

The tablets do not have any anti-freeze properties. Seems like the usual suggestion is to add some alcohol to the water and tablet to lower the freezing point.

ok. I suppose I will stick with what I've been doing for the past 40 years. I mean, I spent $60k+ for a car that has no additional maintenance.

$1 washer fluid is just fine.

Last edited:
Just saw this today:

Testing The Best Windshield Washer Fluids to Help You See Clearly, Now​

The main recommendation is RainX, but for those of use that prefer not to have Rain-x it's a nonstarter.

The 303 tablet option is interesting. It's less than $15 for a 25 tablet tube and each one makes a gallon. That means it's much cheaper than buying any sort of liquid washer fluid. I may try that next time.
https://www.amazon.com/303-Instant-Windshield-Washer-Tablets/dp/B000FF76KM?th=1

I already got a gallon of the O'reilly and actually my store only had +32F, I guess because I'm in a California. So the tablet's wouldn't be at a disadvantage (given I would still have to add methanol or a winter booster if I need to travel to colder climates).