Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wipers Don't Work - Even In Manual Mode. Can't Get Tesla To Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 2 weeks back, the wipers on my Model 3 wouldn't work at all, even in manual mode. I was able to get home in the rain but it was a bit hairy. The next day the wipers worked fine so I put down to a software glitch. This weekend it happened again and this time they didn't start working the next day. I tried calling the closest service center but their automated message said the only way to reach them is through the app. The earliest appointment according to the app is over a week away. I also tried messaging the service center but got no response. As here the Northeast it has been raining daily, the car is basically undrivable. It is incredibly frustrating that Tesla isn't helping with this. If it's raining on the day of my appointment, I won't even be able to drive the car there. Also, since the problem comes and goes, I'm worried that they won't even be able to diagnose it properly.

Has anyone else run into wiper issues like this that they were able to resolve? Should I request roadside assistance even though the car is in my garage? Any suggestions for dealing with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Have you tried the soft and hard reset?

Yes, both. Soft reset did nothing. I then did a power off reset. The wipers came back for a few seconds and then died again. It's almost like a fuse is being tripped. From what I understand, Tesla's don't have fuses but it have some other circuit protection instead. Seems like that protection is getting tripped, but I could be wrong.

Have you tried voice commands? "Set wipers [to] auto /1/2/3/4" "[Turn windshield] wipers (auto/on/off/medium/high)"
Tesla's do have fuses (at least my Model's does), but fuses usually are good or blown, not intermittent.

Have you tried voice commands? "Set wipers [to] auto /1/2/3/4" "[Turn windshield] wipers (auto/on/off/medium/high)"
Tesla's do have fuses (at least my Model's does), but fuses usually are good or blown, not intermittent.

I'll give that a try. Thanks for correcting me about the fuses. I thought I read somewhere that they didn't have them but I could have been mistaken.

I'll give that a try. Thanks for correcting me about the fuses. I thought I read somewhere that they didn't have them but I could have been mistaken.

You are correct. Model 3 uses efuses which do reset themselves. The only real fuse in a Model 3 is the big pyro fuse on the high voltage battery - and there’ll be absolutely no question if that blows.

I suspect a short in the wiper motor - what I’d do is drive it right to the service center, appointmentless, and ask for forgiveness. Let them know the car isn’t safe to drive and we have rain coming again Wednesday. Worst they can do is say “come back at appointment time.”

Mine stopped working one day. I created thread about it also. I had it towed.
I read through your thread. Interestingly, I have the same issues - wipers not working, driver's side headlight and turn signal not working. What's odd is that when this issue first appeared, the passenger's side headlight was out but now it's the driver's side. Was able to reach someone through the Tesla website. We did a power down and reboot without success. He recommended driving to the closest service center (50 miles away) or have roadside assistance tow it. He said no appointment would be needed as it's a safety issue. No rain is forecasted for tomorrow so I will likely just drive it down so I can speak to them directly and explain the issues.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
About 2 weeks back, the wipers on my Model 3 wouldn't work at all, even in manual mode. I was able to get home in the rain but it was a bit hairy. The next day the wipers worked fine so I put down to a software glitch. This weekend it happened again and this time they didn't start working the next day. I tried calling the closest service center but their automated message said the only way to reach them is through the app. The earliest appointment according to the app is over a week away. I also tried messaging the service center but got no response. As here the Northeast it has been raining daily, the car is basically undrivable. It is incredibly frustrating that Tesla isn't helping with this. If it's raining on the day of my appointment, I won't even be able to drive the car there. Also, since the problem comes and goes, I'm worried that they won't even be able to diagnose it properly.

Has anyone else run into wiper issues like this that they were able to resolve? Should I request roadside assistance even though the car is in my garage? Any suggestions for dealing with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
If your drivers side headlights are malfunctioning, your wipers won't work. Had this happen to me.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNation
I read through your thread. Interestingly, I have the same issues - wipers not working, driver's side headlight and turn signal not working. What's odd is that when this issue first appeared, the passenger's side headlight was out but now it's the driver's side. Was able to reach someone through the Tesla website. We did a power down and reboot without success. He recommended driving to the closest service center (50 miles away) or have roadside assistance tow it. He said no appointment would be needed as it's a safety issue. No rain is forecasted for tomorrow so I will likely just drive it down so I can speak to them directly and explain the issues.
Same exact issue for me. At first it was the passenger side light went out, started an appointment, then the next day the passenger side light was fine but the drivers side went out. As soon as the drivers side light stopped working, the wipers stop functioning correctly. Waited reported it on a Friday, the tech was able to get me a new set of headlights by not next Monday but Monday of the following week. He replace both lights and said that yes, if the driver's side headlights go out, your wipers stop functioning.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNation
Same exact issue for me. At first it was the passenger side light went out, started an appointment, then the next day the passenger side light was fine but the drivers side went out. As soon as the drivers side light stopped working, the wipers stop functioning correctly. Waited reported it on a Friday, the tech was able to get me a new set of headlights by not next Monday but Monday of the following week. He replace both lights and said that yes, if the driver's side headlights go out, your wipers stop functioning.

Seriously? Did they say it with a straight face? Oh this is Tesla, you can't see their faces. Love my car, but this is nuts.

Adding this nugget of info to the old noggin for later use.

Reactions: Stan930
Posting an update. Tesla has had the car for four days. Still not fixed. They now want to charge me $1,200 to replace the headlight because it has a scuff mark on it from some truck tire debris that hit it weeks ago. The light had been working fine since then and only stopped working when the wipers died. Trying to fight it but it's difficult when you can't talk with a human and have to communicate through the app.

Posting an update. Tesla has had the car for four days. Still not fixed. They now want to charge me $1,200 to replace the headlight because it has a scuff mark on it from some truck tire debris that hit it weeks ago. The light had been working fine since then and only stopped working when the wipers died. Trying to fight it but it's difficult when you can't talk with a human and have to communicate through the app.
Post a pick. I’d like to see the scuff they’re taking about.

Thank you.
Hi. I am having the exact same problem did you get it resolved? What was the diagnosis? Thanks