TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windshield wipers seem a bit erratic

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by MarchX, Apr 10, 2016.

1. MarchX

MarchX Member

On the dry CA central coast had my first chance to try the wipers the other day. The moisture sensing setting on least sensitive did not seem consistent with the wetness of my windshield. At times it was fine, but at other times I could barely see and was close to manual intervention when they took a swipe. Then, when the windshield was barely wet they wiped without any pause or interval. My first vehicle with moisture sensing wipers so wondering if this is "normal"

2. pvogel

pvogel Member

Similar experience here in Norcal.

3. cantdecide

cantdecide Member

My experience is similar with my X and my S.

4. PGeer

PGeer Member

Same here. But I remember having exactly the same problems on my BMW X5. Seems worse at sensing rain at night. The technology still needs work.

5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

The same with my Lexus LS460, though the Lexus has more than two positions for sensitivity, so I can dial in my preference better.

6. engle

engle Member

My wipers randomly trigger on dry, sunny days about 3-4 times during a drive of about 70 miles roundtrip. Sometimes this happens when I go into the shade under an overpass. Anyone else observe this behavior? I'm using the second sensitivity setting.

It's the only item to be checked out when I take it to the SC for the 3rd row voluntary recall, and my all-season tires installation from my due bill. We're not using the 3rd row right now, so I'm going to wait until they call me for an appt. so others that need 3rd row on a daily basis can get their's replaced before me.