Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wing door came down on my head

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I test drove the X yesterday and when I exited the car (from passenger side) the wing door came down on my head. The sales gal said that there was a glitch in the door sensors but I wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else? The door is very heavy and it really hurt my head so I am fearing that this could happen to one of my children. Thanks

Yes it can and we have had close calls at car shows when we show our X. We found out early what was happening the key fob would be in our pocket and as exiting or entering, it would get squeezed. This may be what had happen in your case. It is very easy for the keyfob to be pressed and when that happens, the car will close all doors and lock. So, what we do is put the fobs in the back trunk hidden, use pin to drive and show the car. Hope this helps. BTW there are many families that have owned the Model X over the years with little to no problems.

The door did not drop of its own accord. Either the screen was touched or the fob was squeezed and someone closed the door on you. Blaming a sensor that may be working as intended is lame.
Default fob setting is to close all and lock with one click but that happens too often when the fob is in a pocket. Alternate setting requires three sequential presses to do to the same and is much safer. When several people are exiting I wait for them all to clear and use the three press.
Despite parents best efforts car doors get closed on kids all the time. FWDs try to help with beeps and sensors but little fingers will always find a way. Your own diligence is their best defense and now when you are in the captain’s chair I’m sure you will avoid doing to others what was just done to you.

The door did not drop of its own accord. Either the screen was touched or the fob was squeezed and someone closed the door on you. Blaming a sensor that may be working as intended is lame.
Default fob setting is to close all and lock with one click but that happens too often when the fob is in a pocket. Alternate setting requires three sequential presses to do to the same and is much safer..
Wasn't aware of this. Great news. How does one go about making this change to the fob?

Also add a FOB "Guard" to the FOBs. Even with that and the option disabled in the Car for single click, I've still manage to *occasionally" have unintended door open. Also be careful with FOB in car as it may not sleep correctly. We have never been hit, but I tend to be fairly cautious with the FWD doors. I had the rear hatch hit us a few times until I added the FOB guards.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
I got hit many times with the falcon doors and the trunk. That's because I have the fob in my tight jeans and accidently hit it.
But I don't mind as it's really gentle on you, doesn't hurt. It's really not like getting your fingers stuck in regular doors closed with full human force.

It is a toggle.
As soon as you turn off 1-press text appears below the button stating that 3-press is the current behavior.
I think this is a great tip. You still can do a close all, just hit the top of the fob 3 times. Need to do it quickly though. Funny story. Karen and I was out with friends at a local pool house, (no, I'm not good at it) and as some of our friends were leaving, tapping on the bar window they were pointing to one of the falcon doors that was open. It so happens, I must have leaned up on the table and hit the side of the FOB. One must be careful with all these fancy features.

Reactions: X-pilot
Slightly different situation, my wife often hits the inside door close button when helping our daughter into her car seat. We never use that button so looking for a way to prevent it from being pressed. Any guards we can put over it, or any other suggestions. Thanks!

Slightly different situation, my wife often hits the inside door close button when helping our daughter into her car seat. We never use that button so looking for a way to prevent it from being pressed. Any guards we can put over it, or any other suggestions. Thanks!
The original switch was harder to activate and less intuitive to use. Perhaps you could find one on eBay or the like and swap it in. One could probably put a small object behind the little handle in the switch to prevent accidental press.

Just a note that I did have "droopy" doors early on in my X ownership, but the issue never returned. They would actually fall under their own weight - they were not being closed, nor did they fully close once they lost momentum. No "boop" to let me know doors were closing or anything like that. I took this video back then to demonstrate the behavior. Oddly, service couldn't reproduce it and despite it happening numerous times early on, the problem just disappeared.

The original switch was harder to activate and less intuitive to use. Perhaps you could find one on eBay or the like and swap it in. One could probably put a small object behind the little handle in the switch to prevent accidental press.
Will the newer switch work on an older model? Sometimes, there are coding issues with things of this nature. I was happy, however, to see on a recent YouTube video that the side cameras on the AP2 cars are able to be swapped out with no issues. And not all that expensive, either.