Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter 2023 update sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading this one single comment instead of everything else really isn't helpful for the situation. I didn't stop in charge anytime unnecessarily. I'm well aware of how the technology works. I'm also well aware that you're not supposed to charge unless it's under 20%. What I was referring to is what the actual vehicle was telling me to do. I'm well aware that it's not a law. The only time it was ever ran and are negative percentage, was when there was absolutely nothing available. When it calculated my stop it it calculated it at 15%, once I arrived at the charger station that none of them were working, I had no choice but to continue my drive. And it took me there. So please don't read one single comment and think that you know the entire conversation because all you did was annoy the *sugar* out of me Good day . I it seems like I'm not the only one that's had this problem so, maybe you should do a little bit more research before you get on here and just run your mouth. I've talked to other people in different forums that have had the very same issue. So if your vehicle wasn't affected by it, that's fabulous. Good for you
Yet I did read all of your comments and my suggestion is still the same. Now adding you found a Tesla SC and none of them worked? That would be a rare find being honest. Doesn’t seem like Anyone agreed with your “winter” software update issue.

Yet I did read all of your comments and my suggestion is still the same. Now adding you found a Tesla SC and none of them worked? That would be a rare find being honest. Doesn’t seem like Anyone agreed with your “winter” software update issue.
This isn't the only forum I'm on with this issue. Are you really here to just annoy people? Attempt to make people feel smaller than you? Did it help? I hope so. You don't have the issue. Great. Move along, this conversation is no longer for you.... 🙄🙄

This isn't the only forum I'm on with this issue. Are you really here to just annoy people? Attempt to make people feel smaller than you? Did it help? I hope so. You don't have the issue. Great. Move along, this conversation is no longer for you.... 🙄🙄
We get it tho. I'm stupid and you are smart. I know nothing about the vehicle I've driven the hell out of and YOU know more about MY CAR then I do. I get it. Thanks. You are the biggest and the smartest. You are the only one that knows anything. And you've spoke to the world and it's just mine....

You posted on an open forum for advice and feedback. If it doesn’t make you happy you shouldn’t ask? You should never drive the EV to negative charge, Fact! To say no Tesla SC’s worked, Highly unusual, Fact. You shouldn’t Need to type on the screen while driving to find a SC it does that for you (if using nav) if it’s needed. I never Said you weren’t smart I simply said (as did others) that it’s possible you are not understanding the proper charging process or computer interface. Going from 4 charges to 8 as you stated is Highly unusual granted you didn’t share proper details to explain the anomaly. The details you Did share made me question your understanding of the interface and proper use. You also don’t mention what MPH you were driving so yeah the estimated range Will be highly modified if your exceeding the computers estimate. Simply blaming the “winter“ update vs accepting Possible advise is your choice. Going from 4 to 8 charges on a trip often means some details or understanding is off. Or you can just feel like suggestions are meant to blame you. Your call.

So we bought 2023 Model S in November. Have been following all the standard rules (like not letting it go below 20% or charging above 80% etc). Then came the firmware upgrade 2023.44.30.7. That disabled all the cameras and navigation, which means (3 month complimentary FSD also wouldn't work). Tried all tricks like restarting the car and what not. Nothing helped. Opened a service ticket with Tesla and got an appointment for mobile service after a week. In the meantime they pushed new update 2023.44.30.8 that would get stuck at 100% and just sit there. And then either they would push it again or download would restart by itself. It must have done that like dozen times or more. The service rep shows up and does hard reset? He disconnected the battery, waited for 10 min to connect back and told me that they would push the upgrade and left (I thought he would makes sure that problem would be resolved before taking off, and marking the ticket as resolved). Ok, same thing again car is still stuck at 100% download. They opened another ticket for next week. So I have been driving this car for almost two weeks without a feature that I bought the car for in first place. I always believed the tesla was a cheap plastic, poorly made car (and i still believe that to be the case after owing this car for 2 months) but even with that belief, we bought the car for its technology. And for last two weeks that has been rendered useless. On top, I get a feeling that Tesla as a company doesn't give a *sugar* about customer service. I have owned different types of Toyotas for last 25 years, never a problem with product or a service. Oh how I wish I had stuck with it. Anyways, anyone faced similar situation and was able to resolved the problem?

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
So finally they fixed my car. They replaced 'car computer' (on my two month old Model S). While I am happy they replaced it, this company does not know/care about customer service. May be its just not in its DNA. I see a downfall of this company if they don't take customer service seriously. Never say never but I do not think I will buy another Tesla or recommend it to my friends.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Reading this one single comment instead of everything else really isn't helpful for the situation. I didn't stop in charge anytime unnecessarily. I'm well aware of how the technology works. I'm also well aware that you're not supposed to charge unless it's under 20%. What I was referring to is what the actual vehicle was telling me to do. I'm well aware that it's not a law. The only time it was ever ran and are negative percentage, was when there was absolutely nothing available. When it calculated my stop it it calculated it at 15%, once I arrived at the charger station that none of them were working, I had no choice but to continue my drive. And it took me there. So please don't read one single comment and think that you know the entire conversation because all you did was annoy the *sugar* out of me Good day . I it seems like I'm not the only one that's had this problem so, maybe you should do a little bit more research before you get on here and just run your mouth. I've talked to other people in different forums that have had the very same issue. So if your vehicle wasn't affected by it, that's fabulous. Good for you

Last week, I made a 200km trip home in the freezing cold. It was around -30C. I had 75% remaining on my LR and my map told me I needed to stop at a supercharger to get home.

About 20 minutes into my trek, I cancelled the trip and then reset my destination to home. This time the map said I didn’t need a supercharger to get home.

I’m wondering since I’ve done this route before if it was predicting range based on my previous driving habits instead of on how slow I was driving at the time.

Or could it be this update we’re chatting about here?

Very strange.

Mariano

I just took a trip from Knoxville to Orlando and I also had some strange things happen. Going down to Orlando was not a problem, but returning last week it told me that I had 150 miles of range left, and we were going to a supercharger that was 100 miles away, but I was not going to be able to make it. I didn't understand. I would get these warnings on the dash that I needed to keep my speed down low in order to make it, and then I would get these big red indications telling me that I'm not going to be able to make it. I've never had that before this "winter update" I ended up stopping at a closer supercharger and charging for a couple minutes and it seemed to make the car happy. Definitely had to make more stops on the way back. This update does has no benefit for me.

Yea mine was working perfectly. Even allowed me to make it to a charger with -4% (dead serious, it's as if having the stop planned allows the charge to last to get there. Could be why we never see dead teslas on the road)
But mine went from perfect to this trash. I've had it a year and an half and I have put 34,500 miles on it by myself. (From fl to nc to Indiana a few times) So I am super familiar with what it always has lasted vs what it's crapped out as after this Update. It was making a sound that is new too. Sounded like the predator breathing when I charged. lol. Still doing it randomly. Only since this update tho.
Do you remember the percentages you arrived the superchargers at, what it said you'd arrive at, and what percentage you took off with?

You also posted "I'm also well aware that you're not supposed to charge unless it's under 20%." but that's not true. You want to Supercharge to the percentage that gets you to the next stop. I personally wouldn't have taken off if it said I'd arrive with a negative percentage. So if stopping and charging at 40% to 90% lets say gets you to the next Supercharger with over 20%, then do that.

Was there no Supercharger you passed on the way to -4%? Or could you have stayed at the prior Supercharger longer? I've found the NAV rather aggressive on telling you when to take off. So I don't leave until it estimates I arrive with 20% or more (especially in cold weather). If I only have 70 miles to go lets say and the weather is good (warm), I might take off when it says I have as little as 10% at my next Supercharger. It's almost impossible to run out if you always leave a 20% buffer on arrival.

If I passed by a Superchargrer at 45% and it said I'd get to the next one with 5% and it was that cold, I'd turn around and charge at the one I just passed.

Last edited: