Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter or All-Season Recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assumed a lease for an 85D with 21” Grey Turbine Wheels and summer tires. I’m trying to decide whether to keep my 21” wheels for summer and get a set of 19” wheels with winter tires or go with 19” wheels and all-season tires year round.

I figured that 19” wheels might save me some cash considering that where I live the roads aren’t always the best. There are always a number of pot holes and it seems like someone in my family ends up with a nail in their tire at least once per year.

Some winters it snows quite a bit, but other winters (like last winter) it only snows one or two times.

I like the handling and noise level of the summer Continental tires I have now, but they are expensive considering that they will only go about 15,000 miles and could be damaged more easily. They also don’t provide a lot of protection for the expensive wheels either.

Considering my comments, should I get new 21” summer tires AND get 19” winter tires and wheels or switch to 19” all-season tires and wheels and only put my 21” Grey Turbine wheels back on before I turn the car back in to the leasing company?

Which tire (Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli?) would you recommend for me considering these priorities in this order:

Noise level
Ride Comfort
Handling
Price
Treadlife
Range

I like the Grey Turbine look. Does anyone recommend these wheels?

Rial Lugano OE Cap
upload_2016-9-5_11-34-6.png

TST 19" Metallic Grey
upload_2016-9-5_11-33-20.png

Getting 19" wheels for winter is a good idea because winter wheels tend to get beaten with scrapes and salt. Tires that will work very well when it snows (or on an ice day) are Nokian WR-g3 severe service all seasons. It's what I use for winter here in Texas. Only the very best snow tires work better than they do and the Nokians don't melt off during the first warm day.

I will be getting my Model S likely sometime in November, and I ordered the 21 inch turbines with the summer tires. I too need a tire for the winter months, and I think I have decided to go with the 20 inch TST grey turbines (I ordered the 21s in silver). There are a bunch of high performance all seasons on Tirerack for the 20s, and there are snow chains for that size wheel too.

The 20s should improve range a bit, improve ride noise/comfort, and be better protected from road hazards. I can then switch between the 20s and 21s as needed and it allows me to change the character of the car a bit (since I will have both silver and grey wheels). For me, compared to the 19 inch wheels, the 20s look better on the Model S, and while not quite as practical/comfortable as the 19s, I think they will be a good balance.

I will be getting my Model S likely sometime in November, and I ordered the 21 inch turbines with the summer tires. I too need a tire for the winter months, and I think I have decided to go with the 20 inch TST grey turbines (I ordered the 21s in silver). There are a bunch of high performance all seasons on Tirerack for the 20s, and there are snow chains for that size wheel too.

The 20s should improve range a bit, improve ride noise/comfort, and be better protected from road hazards. I can then switch between the 20s and 21s as needed and it allows me to change the character of the car a bit (since I will have both silver and grey wheels). For me, compared to the 19 inch wheels, the 20s look better on the Model S, and while not quite as practical/comfortable as the 19s, I think they will be a good balance.

Ohji, did you find some snow chains that fit with the 20" wheels you bought? I'm in a similar situation. I have a MS 90D with 21" grey turbine wheels and high performance summer tires. We plan to start taking some trips to the mountains in the winter, so I need all weather tires and there aren't any for the 21" wheels.

I really like the look of the 21" turbine wheels, so the TST 20" wheels you mention in either grey or matte black (those would look so good with my white MS and black interior) with all-weather tires would be ideal. This way I wouldn't have to fool around with changing wheels and tires, and I could just sell my 21" wheels/tires used.

In California we are legally required to carry chains, even if we're not going to use them. But the chains Tesla sells only fit the 19" wheels. What did you end up getting?

Option 3 is a set of all weather tires, then you don't need to dick around with swapping twice a year. Today is very snowy and my Nokian WRG3's are walking through the snow/ice like it's not even there!

That's exactly my plan, but I have the 21" wheels and there are no aftermarket all weather tires (that I know of) for this wheel size.

TSportline sells aftermarket 20" wheels that are very similar to my grey turbine 21" wheels, and there are several aftermarket all weather options for 20" wheels.

Ohji, did you find some snow chains that fit with the 20" wheels you bought? I'm in a similar situation. I have a MS 90D with 21" grey turbine wheels and high performance summer tires. We plan to start taking some trips to the mountains in the winter, so I need all weather tires and there aren't any for the 21" wheels.

I really like the look of the 21" turbine wheels, so the TST 20" wheels you mention in either grey or matte black (those would look so good with my white MS and black interior) with all-weather tires would be ideal. This way I wouldn't have to fool around with changing wheels and tires, and I could just sell my 21" wheels/tires used.

In California we are legally required to carry chains, even if we're not going to use them. But the chains Tesla sells only fit the 19" wheels. What did you end up getting?

The wheels are on backorder, so I still haven't gotten them, but they are supposed to arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Regarding chains... There are some inexpensive options and some expensive options.

You can get the Tesla chains (Trak Sport) for a the 20 inch wheel with 245/40s, but you have to order directly from the company:

Trak - Home page

The chain doesn't show up under options for the Model S, but if you pick a Mercedes S-class, it gives you the option of a 20 inch wheel with 245/40s.

There are also the less expensive Z-chains:

Amazon.com: Security Chain Company Z-563 Z-Chain Extreme Performance Cable Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2: Automotive

And there are also the VERY expensive Alpine Pros (along with other models from Spike Spiders):

245-40-20

I haven't looked into other cheaper options yet. I kind of want to get something that is really easy to put on and that has good traction. I have more research to do...

The wheels are on backorder, so I still haven't gotten them, but they are supposed to arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Regarding chains... There are some inexpensive options and some expensive options.

You can get the Tesla chains (Trak Sport) for a the 20 inch wheel with 245/40s, but you have to order directly from the company:

Trak - Home page

The chain doesn't show up under options for the Model S, but if you pick a Mercedes S-class, it gives you the option of a 20 inch wheel with 245/40s.

There are also the less expensive Z-chains:

Amazon.com: Security Chain Company Z-563 Z-Chain Extreme Performance Cable Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2: Automotive

And there are also the VERY expensive Alpine Pros (along with other models from Spike Spiders):

245-40-20

I haven't looked into other cheaper options yet. I kind of want to get something that is really easy to put on and that has good traction. I have more research to do...

Thank you! In my case, the chains are just for show... to satisfy the California law that says I have to have them. In the conditions I will be driving in, AWD with all-weather mud/snow rated tires should be fine without chains. The Z-chains are a great option for my purposes.