TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Winter or All-Season Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jtrader, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Jtrader

Jtrader Member

I assumed a lease for an 85D with 21” Grey Turbine Wheels and summer tires. I’m trying to decide whether to keep my 21” wheels for summer and get a set of 19” wheels with winter tires or go with 19” wheels and all-season tires year round.

I figured that 19” wheels might save me some cash considering that where I live the roads aren’t always the best. There are always a number of pot holes and it seems like someone in my family ends up with a nail in their tire at least once per year.

Some winters it snows quite a bit, but other winters (like last winter) it only snows one or two times.

I like the handling and noise level of the summer Continental tires I have now, but they are expensive considering that they will only go about 15,000 miles and could be damaged more easily. They also don’t provide a lot of protection for the expensive wheels either.

Considering my comments, should I get new 21” summer tires AND get 19” winter tires and wheels or switch to 19” all-season tires and wheels and only put my 21” Grey Turbine wheels back on before I turn the car back in to the leasing company?

Which tire (Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli?) would you recommend for me considering these priorities in this order:

Noise level
    Ride Comfort
    Handling
    Price
    Treadlife
    Range

I like the Grey Turbine look. Does anyone recommend these wheels?

Rial Lugano OE Cap
    upload_2016-9-5_11-34-6.png

TST 19" Metallic Grey
    upload_2016-9-5_11-33-20.png

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Getting 19" wheels for winter is a good idea because winter wheels tend to get beaten with scrapes and salt. Tires that will work very well when it snows (or on an ice day) are Nokian WR-g3 severe service all seasons. It's what I use for winter here in Texas. Only the very best snow tires work better than they do and the Nokians don't melt off during the first warm day.

3. Ohji

Ohji Member

I will be getting my Model S likely sometime in November, and I ordered the 21 inch turbines with the summer tires. I too need a tire for the winter months, and I think I have decided to go with the 20 inch TST grey turbines (I ordered the 21s in silver). There are a bunch of high performance all seasons on Tirerack for the 20s, and there are snow chains for that size wheel too.

The 20s should improve range a bit, improve ride noise/comfort, and be better protected from road hazards. I can then switch between the 20s and 21s as needed and it allows me to change the character of the car a bit (since I will have both silver and grey wheels). For me, compared to the 19 inch wheels, the 20s look better on the Model S, and while not quite as practical/comfortable as the 19s, I think they will be a good balance.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I put Nokian Hakka R2's on my stock Tesla 19" rims and re-mounted the summers to a set of Rial Lugano rims. Love the Hakka R2 winter tires!

• Like x 1
  5. Stirthepot

Stirthepot Member

i went with these. aftermarket 20 AG wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak tires. They were great in the snow and drove very nicely as well.

click -> #26

6. Vrrooom

Vrrooom Member

With frequent snows, a dedicated set is the only way to go.

7. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

I would go with either Michelin or Continental. Personally, I wouldn't consider anything else and you get what you pay for is my rule of thumb.