Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire shopping - Looking at the NOKIAN TYRES HAKKAPELIITTA R5 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
any feedback between the R5 EV and the standard? It says R5 EV comes with the foam for sound reduction. Given these are new, I don't expect any to have already tried them on. But would like to get any early feedback, on whether to pay the extra to get the EV version or stick to R5?

Reactions: sewing1
I have researched the R5 vs R5 EV differences for the past month. There are a lot of articles mentioning lower rolling resistance, stiffer sidewall & more quiet operation, but these articles are just "opinions". I contacted Nokian directly multiple times, and all the different people that replied all had a different opinion, but no concrete facts.

My take is that the R5 EV is a standard R5 that they just added sound deadening foam to. Cost for the 235/45-18 R5 EV is $35 per tire more than the standard R5.

Regardless, I have a set of EV's on the way. I will report back when i get them. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
I have researched the R5 vs R5 EV differences for the past month. There are a lot of articles mentioning lower rolling resistance, stiffer sidewall & more quiet operation, but these articles are just "opinions". I contacted Nokian directly multiple times, and all the different people that replied all had a different opinion, but no concrete facts.

My take is that the R5 EV is a standard R5 that they just added sound deadening foam to. Cost for the 235/45-18 R5 EV is $35 per tire more than the standard R5.

Regardless, I have a set of EV's on the way. I will report back when i get them. :)
Where did you order from? I’m hoping discount tire gets some before winter.

I got the R5 EV from tires by web.com, they have an eBay store. I actually bought my nokians from my F-250 plow truck last year from them... I messaged them on eBay and they gave me an additional discount so I got 14% off plus free shipping. Highly recommended! 👍

bummer news: FedEx went to deliver them today, and of course it wasduring the 15-minute window where I ran out to the deli to get lunch... So I missed them. I spent a half an hour driving around looking for the FedEx truck, while the wife was on the phone with FedEx trying to find where the driver was... FAIL. So, looks like I'll get them Tuesday. I will post up with weight width etc.

Got em!
20220904_121933.jpg
20220904_121944.jpg

20220904_123454.jpg

I think you will be happy. Especially with the Winter performance. I had a set on a mini cooper. They were eye opening for the first year. Then less so each succeeding year, but still performed well.

We just put an order in with Kaltire for the R5 EV. Looking forward to hearing some feedback / actual user experience with them. Moving from old Michelin X-Ice to those. Heard so many great things about Nokian, the small price difference for them versus the Michelin was worthwhile.

i had my R5 EVs installed yesterday on my M3LR. Of course, temperature has jumped back up to 20C for a few days so not able to test traction - but expect nothing but greatness as I've been running various Nokian predecessors for over 20 years.. They are certainly no noisier than the stock Michelin from my modest drive yesterday. Will keep an eye on efficiency to see if there is any noticeable difference between the stock summer set up and winters.