Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire shopping - Looking at the NOKIAN TYRES HAKKAPELIITTA R5 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we are approaching the end of the season (ish), thought I'd give a status report on the tires!

As a reminder, those tires come with 11/32nds of tread when new.

So far, we have put 6,500km (4000mi) on them since mid-November. Front and rears are currently all at 10/32nds, very even wear so far. We have maintained pressure to the door label (42 PSI) as good as possible (Ottawa really got a lot of temperature swings, almost 40C wide). Assuming we are willing to drive them to 5/32nds, I'd expect another 4-5 winters out of them, which would make us more than happy.

As for efficiency, I am still confident about what I said earlier. I think they are on par with what I get from the MXM4, accounting for the temperature difference. It's hard to have really comparable data between winter and summers cause of the temperature difference, but if I apply the same logic as before in my previous estimates, I am quite happy with them. I have an old set of X-Ice last year that had slightly less efficiency.

Road noise is not bad at all. I don't find them annoying in their tone or volume. I don't find them annoying at all.

Driving dynamics / winter performance is great. What I would expect from such tires. Never feared getting stuck, feels relatively sharp and all.

Overall, really happy with them. I'd highly recommend them if you need ones for next year!

Reactions: canYdan and Merner
For those still interested in R5 vs R5 EV rolling resistance:

I did some digging around; it seems the R5 and R5 EV tires rate in the same "B" EPREL fuel efficiency class. I looked up labels for 235/45R18 (M3) and 235/45R18 (MYLR) and they show the same class:

235/45R18XL - M3 size
R5 - T432171 - EPREL Public website
R5 EV - TF00005 - EPREL Public website

255/45R19XL - MYLR size
R5 - T432185 - EPREL Public website
R5 EV - TF00002 - EPREL Public website

--
what I did:
Rodney!'s photos led me down this path
find the manufacturer part number (e.g. "TF00005" for the tire in question); find the "product code" - one way is to use Nokian's R5 PDF (https://nokiantyres.studio.crasman.fi/pub/web/attachments/others/brochures/NT_Hakkapeliitta R5_Info_Sheet_August_2022_NA.pdf) and R5 EV PDF (https://nokiantyres.studio.crasman.fi/pub/web/attachments/others/brochures/NT_Hakkapeliitta R5_EV_Info_Sheet_August_2022_NA.pdf)
sometimes you have to use tire retailer websites to find alternate product codes (e.g. "T432171")
go to EPREL Public website and enter in the product code in the "Tyre identifier" box to search (try each multiple if there are some)
I found searching the EPREL site directly using trademark, tire size, etc search criteria did NOT reliably find me the labels I wanted

Last edited:
Reactions: TimTam