Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just removed my Nokian Hakka R3 snow tires mounted on dedicted 18 inch OEM Tesla wheels. The tires have 8,000 miles. The tread depth on the fronts is 10/32 and the rears is 7/32. Both front and rear have perfectly even wear. Tire inflation was always exactly as recommended. I am astonished by the rapid wear in the rear. I have spoken with Nokian, and so far, they are pushing back saying it is a Tesla. Anyway, has anyone else experienced similar pre-mature on the tires, and could this have something particular to do with the Nokian tire compound, Teslas in general, or my specific car.

My winter tires started at 11/32 new at the start of the season. When I took them off after 3,000 miles, the rears were at 9/32 and the fronts were still at 11/32. Doesn't surprise me too much considering the 3 is heavily rear wheel-biased and I like to stomp on it sometimes.
That is disconcerting. Even assuming I rotate the tires, I will get less than 20K miles from the tires at this rate. I know the car is heavy, but I thought the weight was quite evenly distributed. I should also note that my use of the car is for the most part quite gentle.

It depends a lot on temperature.
I remove winter tires when it gets warmer than +5C. Any warmer and it really chews them up.
I appreciate the concern over temps. Living in Salt Lake City and driving daily down from 8500 to 4500 feet in elevation results in a wide range of temperatures. But, the reality is that I am on snow covered roads several time a week from late November to mid-April.

I appreciate the concern over temps. Living in Salt Lake City and driving daily down from 8500 to 4500 feet in elevation results in a wide range of temperatures. But, the reality is that I am on snow covered roads several time a week from late November to mid-April.

Yes. It's snowing here right now but the winter tires are in storage.
I agree they would be better in this spring snow and at -4C today well within the temp rating.
But it will get to +6C tomorrow and they are expensive......

I just removed my Nokian Hakka R3 snow tires mounted on dedicted 18 inch OEM Tesla wheels. The tires have 8,000 miles. The tread depth on the fronts is 10/32 and the rears is 7/32. Both front and rear have perfectly even wear. Tire inflation was always exactly as recommended. I am astonished by the rapid wear in the rear.

My reaction would be exactly opposite of yours - astonishment at the light wear, especially one the fronts.

Hakka R3's start with 11/32nds of tread depth, and as all winter tires, use very soft and pliable rubber to maintain flexibility under freezing temps. Thus they wear pretty fast.
They wear 10x fast if you drive on them with temps north of 50F.

I have spoken with Nokian, and so far, they are pushing back saying it is a Tesla. Anyway, has anyone else experienced similar pre-mature on the tires, and could this have something particular to do with the Nokian tire compound, Teslas in general, or my specific car.

You must have a RWD TM3.
They always chew through rear tires faster than the fronts. This is normal.

8K miles is a LOT of miles for one winter.
The most I ever got out of winter tires, across multiple seasons, was 15-20K miles. You are on track to match the higher end of the range.
Unless you live in Alaska or North Dakota, you must have been driving on them from mid-autumn through April?

Remember to switch to summer tires as soon as temps move permanently north of 40F, else you will be chewing through the ever gooeye winter rubber at an increased rate.
Also, do replace winter rubber once you it wears down to 4/32nds. Below that, they quickly loose snow traction, and turn into all-season junk, or worse.

a

My reaction would be exactly opposite of yours - astonishment at the light wear, especially one the fronts.

Hakka R3's start with 11/32nds of tread depth, and as all winter tires, use very soft and pliable rubber to maintain flexibility under freezing temps. Thus they wear pretty fast.
They wear 10x fast if you drive on them with temps north of 50F.

You must have a RWD TM3.
They always chew through rear tires faster than the fronts. This is normal.

8K miles is a LOT of miles for one winter.
The most I ever got out of winter tires, across multiple seasons, was 15-20K miles. You are on track to match the higher end of the range.
Unless you live in Alaska or North Dakota, you must have been driving on them from mid-autumn through April?

Remember to switch to summer tires as soon as temps move permanently north of 40F, else you will be chewing through the ever gooeye winter rubber at an increased rate.
Also, do replace winter rubber once you it wears down to 4/32nds. Below that, they quickly loose snow traction, and turn into all-season junk, or worse.

a
My car is AWD. I put the snows on December 2 and removed them April 13. Anything short of that would be crazy given where I live. This year we received around 650 inches according to the snow stake which is up around 500 foot above the elevation of my house, and it is currently snowing. My commute to work is 50 miles RT. I also go on an occasional trip to Idaho or Wyoming during the winter. So, putting on 8000K miles in a winter is not difficult. I have had same tires on my rear-wheel biased BMWs and even a Toyota minivan and had much better wear.

That is disconcerting. Even assuming I rotate the tires, I will get less than 20K miles from the tires at this rate. I know the car is heavy, but I thought the weight was quite evenly distributed. I should also note that my use of the car is for the most part quite gentle.

I should have clarified that I was running Pirelli Sottozero II tires. I really do think it has a lot to do with how much torque the Model 3 throws down. I'm no expert though. I believe the AWD model is a RWD car the majority of the time due to the more efficient PMSR rear motor and it only engages the front when slipping or under hard acceleration.

Last edited:
The tread depth on the fronts is 10/32 and the rears is 7/32. Both front and rear have perfectly even wear.
Wow you did better than I did with my R3 set. 6,000 miles. 8/32 on front and 7/32 on the rear. But I did a lot of 80 MPH driving and drove it like it was stolen. Over the winter I often was the lead car at red lights so that was bad. The tires are great on ice and snow so I'll keep getting them unless something better comes out. I plan on making an effort to drive with less acceleration next winter to see if that helps.. perhaps even turn chill mode on for the first time. I would like to get three seasons out of the tires.

My Xi3’s are around 9.5 rear and 10 in the front and they are supposed to be 10.5 new.

I have probably 4500 miles on them.

AWD (performance). I have it in chill mode the whole winter. Can’t afford buying new tires every 2 seasons. I think I launched them once just to see how they handle and didn’t care for how they felt.

I just checked my R3’s I have on my Jeep that probably have a good 25-30k miles on them. (Bought them in the fall of 2013) And they are at 9/32 :) they are on my 3rd Jeep and each Jeep has total of around 30k miles, so 90k miles total (about 1/3 on R3’s).

I change my winters myself so I can swap them at the optimal time of year and not run them too soon or late.