Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Tyres] Kumho Solus 4S HA32 (All Season) - Anyone Running these?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Stock tyres have done 25k miles and the rears are now approaching the limit. Plan to replace all 4 for continuity and want to use this opportunity to run all seasons.

Car is a Model 3 SR+ on 18" rims.

Was originally looking at the Vredestein Quatrac Pro but during a search found that Kumho now do a very well priced option (£515 fully fitted). I've used Kumho tyres previously on a heavy BMW 5 series estate and was really happy with the grip and longevity.

Does anyone have any particular experience with the Kumho Solus 4S HA32 on a Tesla 3/Y?

These have the 3PMSF (Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake) marking on them, which from 5 mins of research appears to be a new standard replacing/alongside M+S (mud and snow). One purpose of getting the all seasons is the ability to drive in European countries that mandate tyres suitable for winter conditions at certain times of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: pharwood
One purpose of getting the all seasons is the ability to drive in European countries that mandate tyres suitable for winter conditions at certain times of the year.
I’m in a very similar situation to you - 23k miles with aeros and the rears near replacing soon but would change all 4 to all seasons at the same time. At the last moment I flew to the alps this season to avoid replacing tyres for that drive.

I just wanted to check your understanding for the need for winter tyres on a foreign car whilst in countries that mandate them. I understood that foreign cars didn’t need to be compliant more generally but was unsure if there are local rules e.g. the need for winter tyres or snow chains (which I have) when in the French alps.

Have you researched this? I’m now thinking all seasons ( I was considering cross climates) may not tick their box as a winter tyre.

I just wanted to check your understanding for the need for winter tyres on a foreign car whilst in countries that mandate them. I understood that foreign cars didn’t need to be compliant more generally but was unsure if there are local rules e.g. the need for winter tyres or snow chains (which I have) when in the French alps.

Have you researched this? I’m now thinking all seasons ( I was considering cross climates) may not tick their box as a winter tyre.
No that's incorrect. You are subject to the same requirements and restrictions as any local vehicle.
And it makes sense, too, as the little "UK" sticker on your boot won't be the thing that prevents you from an uncontrolled drift into the (local) car in front of you on a snowy road.
So for French Alps, Germany, etc, you need either snow chains/socks (French law only require you to carry some in your boot, not to fit them on the tyres, go figure...) or 3PMSF tyres (on all 4 wheels) or you can risk a fine, vehicle immobilisation, and eventually, a denied insurance claim in case of an accident.

All Seasons is a bit of a catchall term for manufacturers. What you are looking for to be compliant is, as mentioned by OP, a tyre that bears the 3PMSF (3 Peak Mountain SnowFlake) logo, which is given through independent testing for a certain minimum of snow handling capabilities.
Some manufacturers claim their tyres are All Season, but those who do not have that mark are not recognised as such officially, and would be put in the same category as Summer tyres regarding the law.
The Michelin CrossClimate2, Pirelli Scorpion have this, so you would be fine, both with the local authorities, and with a higher level of confidence on wintery roads.
But bear in mind than even if All Season tyres were hugely improved in the last half-decade, they're never as good as proper winter tyres in very difficult conditions.

Last edited:
@Doudeau I found this article helpful when looking into the differences between 3PMSF and M+S:

As @WllXM said, your car needs to be compliant with the local laws, which vary country to country and in some cases county to county.

• Helpful
Reactions: WllXM and Doudeau
@Doudeau I found this article helpful when looking into the differences between 3PMSF and M+S:

As @WllXM said, your car needs to be compliant with the local laws, which vary country to country and in some cases county to county.
Yes, essentially M+S is an old terminology, which was self-awarded by manufacturers if the tyre has a certain amount or pattern of grooves on it.
I believe there is still a tolerance running for a few years that allow M+S tyres to be considered 'snow legal' in some countries, but it is essentially being phased out for 3PMSF which has superior requirements. Definitely prefer that one and steer clear of the ones that only show M+S in 2023...

Thanks for correcting my thinking. I’ve just done some research which validates your explanation too.

This is why I misunderstood the rules….

I have a sister-in-law who has lived in Switzerland for 30 years and we have visited most years and often during the winter. She has told us we don’t need winter tyres to visit them.

As they have always reliably changed to winter tyres every year, and buy the 2nd set of wheels and tyres with every new car, I had incorrectly assumed they were mandatory there - and hence why I thought locals had different laws. The revelation is that they’re not absolutely (see below) mandatory for Swiss citizens either.

I am also aware that renting a car at Basel airport you will get winter tyres if you pickup on the Swiss side but may get summer tyres if you pickup on the French side.

Similarly, all cars picked up at Geneva airport have winter tyres in winter but nearby French airports (e.g. Chambery and Lyon) only have a few cars with winter tyres.

My families’ advice is not great as the Swiss gov website suggests you could be in trouble if you have an accident without having winter tyres despite them not being a legal requirement….

DADBA2A9-58F9-4D7E-83E9-D0A39D373D38.png

Every day is a school day.

It's the same in Germany. There is no law that says you need to fit winter tyres. BUT, if you have an accident or cause an obstruction in the winter and have inadequate tyres fitted you will get fined. So, it's perfectly fine to drive in Dec at 15 degrees in the sunshine on the motorway on summer tyres, but if it starts snowing and you get stuck or cause an accident you get in trouble. To avoid this most sensible people just fit winter tyres from Oct to Easter or All-Season (with the snow marking).

• Helpful
Reactions: Doudeau
Thanks for correcting my thinking. I’ve just done some research which validates your explanation too.

This is why I misunderstood the rules….

I have a sister-in-law who has lived in Switzerland for 30 years and we have visited most years and often during the winter. She has told us we don’t need winter tyres to visit them.

As they have always reliably changed to winter tyres every year, and buy the 2nd set of wheels and tyres with every new car, I had incorrectly assumed they were mandatory there - and hence why I thought locals had different laws. The revelation is that they’re not absolutely (see below) mandatory for Swiss citizens either.

I am also aware that renting a car at Basel airport you will get winter tyres if you pickup on the Swiss side but may get summer tyres if you pickup on the French side.

Similarly, all cars picked up at Geneva airport have winter tyres in winter but nearby French airports (e.g. Chambery and Lyon) only have a few cars with winter tyres.

My families’ advice is not great as the Swiss gov website suggests you could be in trouble if you have an accident without having winter tyres despite them not being a legal requirement….

View attachment 909653

Every day is a school day.
Yes, common caveat with Switzerland, but that's what you get as a very liberal country.. They're not mandatory so no fine for not having them, but if you're ever involved in an accident, they'll make fondue out of you.
But, as coming from the UK, you now necessarily have to pass through French counties where winter tyres or chains are now mandatory... well...

It's the same in Germany. There is no law that says you need to fit winter tyres. BUT, if you have an accident or cause an obstruction in the winter and have inadequate tyres fitted you will get fined. So, it's perfectly fine to drive in Dec at 15 degrees in the sunshine on the motorway on summer tyres, but if it starts snowing and you get stuck or cause an accident you get in trouble. To avoid this most sensible people just fit winter tyres from Oct to Easter or All-Season (with the snow marking).
Not to get into every technicality as it isn't the topic of the thread, I recall it's even more subtle in Germany. There is a mandatory law, but that applies ONLY when the road conditions are wintery.
So on a dry, sunny day in December, you're totally fine, but if the snow starts to fall, then the Polizei can fine you on the spot and stop your car.. :D

Bottom line : if you're gonna be driving on the continent between October and March and your tyres are up for a change, fit 3PSMF all-seasons and you won't have to think about it again.

Not to get into every technicality as it isn't the topic of the thread, I recall it's even more subtle in Germany. There is a mandatory law, but that applies ONLY when the road conditions are wintery.
So on a dry, sunny day in December, you're totally fine, but if the snow starts to fall, then the Polizei can fine you on the spot and stop your car.. :D

Bottom line : if you're gonna be driving on the continent between October and March and your tyres are up for a change, fit 3PSMF all-seasons and you won't have to think about it again.
Yep, exactly as I said: So, it's perfectly fine to drive in Dec at 15 degrees in the sunshine on the motorway on summer tyres, if it starts snowing and you get stuck or cause an accident you get in trouble"

Yep, exactly as I said: So, it's perfectly fine to drive in Dec at 15 degrees in the sunshine on the motorway on summer tyres, if it starts snowing and you get stuck or cause an accident you get in trouble"
Just pointing out that the difference with Switzerland is that they actually have a law. So you would get stopped by the police and fined just for driving, even if not stuck or causing an accident.

Reactions: CaptFish2003

I would be wary of using USA web sites for tyre information. I believe that some tyres even of the same brand are not comparable to the ones sold in Europe/UK. Most of it may well be relevant, I'm just giving a heads up.

I would be wary of using USA web sites for tyre information. I believe that some tyres even of the same brand are not comparable to the ones sold in Europe/UK. Most of it may well be relevant, I'm just giving a heads up.
The website linked doesn't compare brands of tyre. It provides info on the 3PMSF international standard.

Reactions: Caramel and Adopado
Had these fitted today with a mobile fitter. Hard to review until bedded in but initially, no discernible difference in noise and they feel like they have a bit more bounce, although that could easily be the additional 6mm of tread.

Pics of side profile and tread:

20230224_152125.jpg

20230224_152207.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
Looking on KwikFit or BlackCircles, it was down to these versus the Continental All Season Contact 235/45 R18 Y (98), being the only B rolling resistance all season options coming up.

I've ordered a set too, thanks. Mine is also a Model 3 SR+ on 18" rims, but only 24k miles. I'm opting to take the car in to have them done, want to be sure they check the tracking as I was getting uneven wear on the fronts:

Reactions: Medved_77