Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Washing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the ONR system for the first time this weekend to remove the wildfire ash fallout. What a sad reminder of the devastation that continues in the north. I think the ONR is going to work really in places that see mostly dust and road grime, like most of California in the summer. If you have mud and road salt build up, it makes sense to remove that first in a more traditional way (touchless car wash or high pressure rinse) and follow up with an ONR detailing.

The key is using a wet, CLEAN quarter of a fluffy microfiber towel any time you touch the car. If you aren't dragging a dry, dirty cloth across the paint, you aren't going to scratch it. I used the one-bucket method with the debris screen, and the used towels never went back into the ONR solution.

I used the ONR system for the first time this weekend to remove the wildfire ash fallout. What a sad reminder of the devastation that continues in the north. I think the ONR is going to work really in places that see mostly dust and road grime, like most of California in the summer. If you have mud and road salt build up, it makes sense to remove that first in a more traditional way (touchless car wash or high pressure rinse) and follow up with an ONR detailing.

The key is using a wet, CLEAN quarter of a fluffy microfiber towel any time you touch the car. If you aren't dragging a dry, dirty cloth across the paint, you aren't going to scratch it. I used the one-bucket method with the debris screen, and the used towels never went back into the ONR solution.

Great advice, and this is where I have landed. I found a reasonably priced TF car wash by me this weekend and it actually worked really well to get the snow/salt off my Model 3. I also did the undercarriage given the salt here. I'm going try it again this weekend and then hand wash it using ONR afterward, followed by either a good wax or the ceramic. At this point, I think I might just wax it until I figure out how I want to address the paint chips. I don't want to seal them in with ceramic quite yet.

Be sure when you wash any microfiber towels that you don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets because these will coat the fibers and reduce absorption. I use those plastic nubby dryer balls that help keep things from bunching together in the dryer for both the MF and regular bath towels.

Does this take the place of regular car wax then?

Yes, you would not need to wax the car if you have the ceramic coat on it. They both do the same thing: provide a hydrophobic coating over the paint to discourage contaminants from embedding into the clear coat.

But the ceramic coating lasts a lot longer and resists claybarring, unlike wax. So you can claybar a ceramic coated car and not have to worry about waxing or reapplying the ceramic coating. likewise, alcohol, mineral spirits, gasoline, etc can't eat away ceramic coating, whereas they will remove wax.

Be sure when you wash any microfiber towels that you don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets because these will coat the fibers and reduce absorption. I use those plastic nubby dryer balls that help keep things from bunching together in the dryer for both the MF and regular bath towels.

Along with not using traditional fabric softener or dryer sheets. I also only use Tide Free for detergent. Skip the perfumes and additives.

68A04B13-C13E-4F66-9C70-B912969059E5.jpeg
I really think this is the way. Do it yourself carwash and the right tools. Great video showing you how without overselling product...

:confused::confused: Wash mitts absolutely scare the HELL out of me :eek::eek: There's a better way ;)

We've owned black cars for decades and learned a lot about washing them (and still learning) ONR is fantastic for many reasons but the tools you are using with it need to evolve also. While I will use a touchless carwash in the winter. It is only if the car is very salted and to gain the underbody wash. I'm fortunate to have a touchless that adds the underbody wash without forcing you use all the polish and sealants which I never want or use.

My wash method uses only one bucket (with grit guard), a garden sprayer, washing and drying microfiber. The washing towels NEVER go back in the bucket once they have been wetted. The washing towels are 16 X 16 inches square double folded making 8 washing surfaces. Depending how dirty the car is I may use as few maybe 10 towels or 20 ... maybe more of these towels. Thats a lot more CLEAN surface that a wash mitt!!! Drying towels are 24 X 36 inches. While is doesn't take any where near the quantity of towel to dry, the same principle applies. A clean surface is always available by flipping and refolding them. The towels are sourced from Detail Image.

I summer I may use 1 1/2 gallons of water. In winter probably 2 gallons.

The beauty of ONR and this system its easy to take with you when traveling. Washing bugs or unwanted contaminates off the windshield, the front or anywhere on the car.