Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Washing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure to spend some extra time drying the door handles. I noticed the bottom side was icing up making it really hard to get the handle out. It also caused the electronic button to stick and randomly want to pop the door open. I was sitting in the driver seat, in park, when the passenger door randomly opened.
I had this problem too - each time I put it in park the passenger door would pop open. A Tesla Ranger adjusted the handle quickly and no problems since.

In winter, i run the car thru a touchless car wash bay to get the majority of salt and sand off the car. This is sufficient for most washes in the winter. No point getting the car spotless since it's going to get dirty the next day driving through salt and slush.

If I do decide to go super clean, then after the touchless bay run, I do a rinseless wash in the garage using ONR and 10-15 microfiber cloths.

I claybar once a year. With that, I also use ONR at the recommended concentration.

I do the DIY ceramic coating, which seems to last for a few years. Really makes the touchless car washes easy. Stuff still cakes to the car from daily driving, but it's really easy to rinse off.

Reactions: rpm001 and Big1matt
In winter, i run the car thru a touchless car wash bay to get the majority of salt and sand off the car. This is sufficient for most washes in the winter. No point getting the car spotless since it's going to get dirty the next day driving through salt and slush.

If I do decide to go super clean, then after the touchless bay run, I do a rinseless wash in the garage using ONR and 10-15 microfiber cloths.

I claybar once a year. With that, I also use ONR at the recommended concentration.

I do the DIY ceramic coating, which seems to last for a few years. Really makes the touchless car washes easy. Stuff still cakes to the car from daily driving, but it's really easy to rinse off.

This is the key post here. I fully endorse. :)

Reactions: Mobius484

Can you tell me what DIY ceramic coating you use? Also, any harm in doing this in the winter time?

Can you tell me what DIY ceramic coating you use? Also, any harm in doing this in the winter time?

cquartz. I did it in my garage during the dead of winter, but I have heat in there. I brought the ambient temp up to 60F. You can apply it in colder temps, but it takes longer to see the material flash. I'd say don't apply if you can't get temps higher than 45F.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DZJ7VA

Bitch and moan on here about crappy Tesla paint apparently.

Woh did you miss a smoke break or something? All I did was ask how to fix chips before applying ceramic coating, I'm not sure how you equate that to bitching and moaning about Tesla paint? I stated a fact, I have chips in the paint already, this is a FACT. I did not say it was because of bad paint....

edit: Apparently I missed this as a joke, so I apologize thinking your intent was to attack me :)

Last edited:
Woh did you miss a smoke break or something? All I did was ask how to fix chips before applying ceramic coating, I'm not sure how you equate that to bitching and moaning about Tesla paint? I stated a fact, I have chips in the paint already, this is a FACT. I did not say it was because of bad paint....
Looks like my (apparently unfunny) joke went flying by you...

I did not mean to imply that you were bitching and moaning, although in hindsight I can see how it might have looked that way. It's a very common theme in the forums for people to complain about soft Tesla paint.

Looks like my (apparently unfunny) joke went flying by you...

I did not mean to imply that you were bitching and moaning, although in hindsight I can see how it might have looked that way. It's a very common theme in the forums for people to complain about soft Tesla paint.

Okay, well it obviously did go flying by me. I do see a lot of people "bitching and moaning" but that was indeed not my intention here. I will say, I was one of those people who had missing paint on delivery, but I took delivery and they fixed it at a later time. I was happy with that.

The chipped paint I'm not bitching about. I drive 50+ miles round trip a day for work, I know it's bound to take some rocks. In previous cars I didn't really care. But I'd prefer to fix these if I can. I was going to ceramic coat the car after delivery, but it's been in the service center twice and I haven't had a chance to do it. I have a third service center appointment (tail light issue), so I still have put the ceramic coating off. D'oh!

Does this take the place of regular car wax then?

Ya it does. The ceramic coating will last for years rather than months. Great solution for those who don't want to wax. It's also great for ease of washing as it repels dirt and pollens. Just follow directions on application. Because it's a semi-permanent application, it's a PITA if you let hot spots cure. You want to make sure you have good lighting.

Reactions: nvx1977
Okay, well it obviously did go flying by me. I do see a lot of people "bitching and moaning" but that was indeed not my intention here. I will say, I was one of those people who had missing paint on delivery, but I took delivery and they fixed it at a later time. I was happy with that.

The chipped paint I'm not bitching about. I drive 50+ miles round trip a day for work, I know it's bound to take some rocks. In previous cars I didn't really care. But I'd prefer to fix these if I can. I was going to ceramic coat the car after delivery, but it's been in the service center twice and I haven't had a chance to do it. I have a third service center appointment (tail light issue), so I still have put the ceramic coating off. D'oh!
I've been trying to convince myself that I don't need PPF or ceramic coating, but I got my first rock chip on the front bumper last week and I can feel it gnawing away in the back of my brain... :eek:

I have been washing it about twice a week so at least the ceramic coating could save me a lot of time. I would also be interested in knowing what to do about chips before applying it...sorry I derailed your question! :oops:

I've been trying to convince myself that I don't need PPF or ceramic coating, but I got my first rock chip on the front bumper last week and I can feel it gnawing away in the back of my brain... :eek:

I have been washing it about twice a week so at least the ceramic coating could save me a lot of time. I would also be interested in knowing what to do about chips before applying it...sorry I derailed your question! :oops:

Well it sounds like we're in about the same boat. The chips have definitely gnawed my brain, probably moving toward the front part now. Oh well, you can only do so much. For the first year of owning my Nissan Altima (car replaced by my Tesla) I parked that thing at the end of every lot and washed it every weekend. It looked brand new. But people would find ways to dent it even when I parked it out, so after a few years I became frustrated and stopped caring as much. Especially after a valet driver crashed it after a valentine's day meal with my wife, then the car was about 6 years old and I took the money and left the bumper as it was. The car was a magnet for dents, scratches, etc.

But now I'm back to babying my car. I park my Tesla as far away from every car as I can :)

Reactions: Fizzyo and Runt8
One last question, I have a couple small chips in my hood already. What is the standard procedure for handling this before doing a DIY ceramic?
I picked up a rock chip while waiting for my scheduled appointment for PPF. The detail guys said to bring in touch up paint and they'll fix it before applying the film. I've been trying to buy the paint from Tesla, but the MCR has been out of stock. Going with Dr. ColorChip after reading the recommendations on the boards.

I just used Optimum No Rinse and the two bucket method to wash in my garage with no hose. I am in Minnesota and had some road salt and road grime to wash off. It seemed to work great. However, I am still new to this and I really hope I don’t end up with micro scratches from this product and wash method.

Touching your car with anything that has any dirt whatsoever pretty much guaranteed to scratch it. Lubrication helps. Just try not to think about it.