Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers do not recess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Resist: You should avoid looking at the clearance between wheels and brake calipers. :eek:

The wiper/hood clearance is a non issue.
I have looked at the clearance of the calipers with the wheels but that's a solid fixed distance. The wipers have some play in them and I only brought this up because I never noticed it being this close on my Model 3. Then after searching online I found others where their Model Y wiper arm rubbed under the hood, so yeah, I got a bit concerned which is normal. But if you say it's a non issue then okay, however I would like to see pics of others just to compare. If I had a Tesla showroom nearby I'd look at their inventory cars.

I have looked at the clearance of the calipers with the wheels but that's a solid fixed distance. The wipers have some play in them and I only brought this up because I never noticed it being this close on my Model 3. Then after searching online I found others where their Model Y wiper arm rubbed under the hood, so yeah, I got a bit concerned which is normal. But if you say it's a non issue then okay, however I would like to see pics of others just to compare. If I had a Tesla showroom nearby I'd look at their inventory cars.
Mine has slightly more room but not much
78947FCC-5DCA-4EC0-9739-8252E72E6320.jpeg

Reactions: Resist
Doesn't seem like this is normal and how it was designed to be. Kind of like how the trunk/hatch gasket is tucked in at the bottom. It should really be out like it is on the top part and every other vehicle on the road is. The way the line installation procedure was written I think it confused the workers and they are doing it not as it was designed to be done.

I do worry that on rainy windy day, that wiper blade could end up being blown up more, hitting the hood. The wiper arm is not a fixed item, it moves and flexes.

I do worry that on rainy windy day, that wiper blade could end up being blown up more, hitting the hood. The wiper arm is not a fixed item, it moves and flexes.

This is what happened to mine. The wiper blade would hit the top of the hood when it was raining hard and windy out while moving at speed.

I'm pretty handy but only when I know how to make any adjustments, and without scratching anything. So you let Tesla try to fix the issue and then they ultimately replaced your hood?
Yes. Plus there was a revision of the wiper blade assembly they tried too. Ultimately came down to a mis-stamped hood that was slightly warped. Chalked it up to a very early 2020 build as they got things rolling in Fremont.

Plus there was a revision of the wiper blade assembly they tried too. Ultimately came down to a mis-stamped hood that was slightly warped.
My car is a new 2023 so it had to already come with the revision and I've looked at my hood at all angles, open and closed, and it doesn't appear to be warped in any way. But that wiper arm just seems uncomfortably close the underside of the hood.

My car is a new 2023 so it had to already come with the revision and I've looked at my hood at all angles, open and closed, and it doesn't appear to be warped in any way. But that wiper arm just seems uncomfortably close the underside of the hood.
Not sure why you just wouldn't put in a request for service. It will be done at your home or work. Should be covered under warranty. 🤷‍♂️

Not sure why you just wouldn't put in a request for service. It will be done at your home or work. Should be covered under warranty. 🤷‍♂️
Because of my past experience with Tesla service, it wasn't the best and right now I don't have the time. But soon I will see if Mobile Service can look at it. However, my only reason for posting about it was to see how many others have this issue and if there was an easy DIY fix.

Because of my past experience with Tesla service, it wasn't the best and right now I don't have the time. But soon I will see if Mobile Service can look at it. However, my only reason for posting about it was to see how many others have this issue and if there was an easy DIY fix.
I think your situation is rare, it is more common to have the wiper arm hit on the underside of the hood, taking paint off and scoring the hood. I had mine adjusted once by mobile service and the SC, it will come back.

I think your situation is rare, it is more common to have the wiper arm hit on the underside of the hood, taking paint off and scoring the hood. I had mine adjusted once by mobile service and the SC, it will come back.
How is my situation rare if it is more common to have the wiper arm hit the underside of the hood and could come back? Seems like Tesla service really didn't solve the problem if it will come back. I'm confused about your post.

Reactions: WyoDude
I have a 2023 Model 3 LR , I noticed (actually for a while now) that the clearance between the wiper arm and hood is really narrow. I popped open the fronk and it does not look like it makes contact or any evidence of scratching. I’ve searched here that there were some early MYs that did not clear the hood at all. I’m wondering what does everyone else‘s clearance look like. for what it’s worth, I stuck a paper in there and it was a tight squeeze (I felt it grab between the space). When I folded the paper over and try to stick that in, it did not fit.
IMG_2821.jpeg