Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers do not recess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 MYHP windshield wipers do not recess under the hood on their own after being used. They stay above the lip with the bottom wiper resting on the top of the hood lip, hitting it causing paint chipping. The wipers go into this position after i turn them off and stay there when i continue to drive, stop, lock the car and turn it on again.
But if, after i stop and lock the car, i push down the knob on top the lower wiper joint, when i open on the car again the wipers withdraw below the lip. It appears a solenoid on the lower wiper joint is not working. Am I looking at this correctly and see it as a defect which needs a service call?
60BFE418-EB0C-408A-8A70-35E73E9617CC.jpeg
60BFE418-EB0C-408A-8A70-35E73E9617CC.jpeg
96FE2692-03B1-49E9-BC84-C957A2BBCC4F.jpeg

When the wiper hits the hood it will automatically stop. I had the same problem, and it chipped the paint off the hood. There seems to be no upgraded wiper arms available. Mobile service came out and fixed mine. It was a rather crude fix (I must add.) He took the wiper motor assembly apart and bent the metal bracket that held everything together with a big pipe wrench (that I supplied.) Kind of a rough fix, but it worked. I touched up the paint with a kit that I purchased from Tesla.

As others have said, the fix is to adjust the hood, adjust the wiper blades, replace the blade arms (there are multiple revisions from early 2020) and then when all else fails replace the hood which is what I did about a year ago.

The service technician came out this week on schedule in a fully stocked Model X. He was very knowledgeable and personable. He stated with Tesla on the line in Freemont, working up to line manager before moving to San Diego in mobile service. He took the fronk apart to check under the wiper, added a screw which pulled it down, and now it works fine. As for the chipped hood paint, he said I could bring it in to a service center any time and they would do the touch up. I declined as I have two bottles of the touch up paint and will do it myself if i get inspired because it is not noticeable. I thought it was a very convenient experience for which i am very satisfied. Reason #400 why I love my Tesla.
FRONK.jpg

Reactions: DanDi58
My 2022 MYHP windshield wipers do not recess under the hood on their own after being used. They stay above the lip with the bottom wiper resting on the top of the hood lip, hitting it causing paint chipping. The wipers go into this position after i turn them off and stay there when i continue to drive, stop, lock the car and turn it on again.
But if, after i stop and lock the car, i push down the knob on top the lower wiper joint, when i open on the car again the wipers withdraw below the lip. It appears a solenoid on the lower wiper joint is not working. Am I looking at this correctly and see it as a defect which needs a service call?
View attachment 859996View attachment 859996View attachment 859998
I actually had the same issue. Just take the circle cap off and there will be a 5/8 socket. What I believe caused this was that it was a little loose. After tightening it, I noticed it adjusted down and now it no longer hits my hood.

Good luck! My Model Y is a 2021, hopefully this helps someone before they request a service center appointment.

I noticed on the drive home with my new 2023 Model Y Performance that the driver side wiper could be seen as I drove. Nothing is hitting the hood, it just sits up higher and it doesn't look like they recess under the hood, the passenger side wiper does just a little but both really don't recess, looking by design. But seeing that wiper sticking up a bit is going to bother me when driving. I didn't notice that on my Model 3.

One other thing I noticed is that the passenger side wiper arm is really close to making contact with the underside of the hood. I fear it will at some point scrape it. And if I end up having to use touch up paint on the at area it will make me very unhappy because you can always see touch ups on paint. I'd like to see pictures of other 2023 wiper arms near the hood to compare with because right now I'm afraid to even turn my wipers on, as I don't want the paint chipped.