Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers not clearing road salt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my MS60D since the summer so this is my first experience with winter driving conditions. I live in NH and we've recently had a minor snowfall here.

I've noticed that the wipers do a very poor job of clearing off the thin film of road salt/general grime that accumulates when driving behind other vehicles. It's especially bad at highway speeds (65MPH +/-) . I've tried using the wiper fluid but it barely reaches half way up the windshield even if I hold the button down for 3 or 4 seconds. The wipers pick up the fluid and move it a little further up the windshield but never all the way.

The net result is about the top 1/3 of the windshield ends up with a thin film of road salt and grime which ultimately turn nearly opaque making it very difficult to see to drive. Temps are hovering right around the freezing point so I wouldn't expect this to be a freezing up issue that might happen at much lower temps. It's more like the nozzle is not directing the wiper fluid high enough to properly get the windshield clean. I've recently had my first 12K service so I believe the wiper blades are brand new.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there anything that can be adjusted?

thanks,
John

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I've only had my MS60D since the summer so this is my first experience with winter driving conditions. I live in NH and we've recently had a minor snowfall here.

I've noticed that the wipers do a very poor job of clearing off the thin film of road salt/general grime that accumulates when driving behind other vehicles. It's especially bad at highway speeds (65MPH +/-) . I've tried using the wiper fluid but it barely reaches half way up the windshield even if I hold the button down for 3 or 4 seconds. The wipers pick up the fluid and move it a little further up the windshield but never all the way.

The net result is about the top 1/3 of the windshield ends up with a thin film of road salt and grime which ultimately turn nearly opaque making it very difficult to see to drive. Temps are hovering right around the freezing point so I wouldn't expect this to be a freezing up issue that might happen at much lower temps. It's more like the nozzle is not directing the wiper fluid high enough to properly get the windshield clean. I've recently had my first 12K service so I believe the wiper blades are brand new.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there anything that can be adjusted?

thanks,
John
A service center may be able to re-aim the washer nozzles. Or you may be able to do it yourself.
I have not personally done it on my Tesla, but I have done it on earlier cars (MBs) using a pin or a wire thin enough to fit into the washer nozzle.

Reactions: ravejads.tmc
Not sure. I sure hope that Tesla has service manuals or something to guide their shops.
I recall the Mercedes had a diagram in their manual that showed exactly where the stream should hit the glass for best performance.
Hope that is not too much to expect from our boys....

After Nozzle replacement there are no instructions for aiming. It just says -
  • Check and adjust the washer jet.

Well, I guess I am not surprised. The Germans have been building carts for over 100 years and are rather anal about setting up everything "just so." It'll take awhile for Tesla to get there...so I guess ad hoc will have to do!

A service center may be able to re-aim the washer nozzles. Or you may be able to do it yourself.
I have not personally done it on my Tesla, but I have done it on earlier cars (MBs) using a pin or a wire thin enough to fit into the washer nozzle.

Well, this is embarrassing!
I had a look at my washer nozzles today, because mine are not performing well, especially on the passenger side. Decided to take my own advice and see if I could adjust them.
oops! i could not even see them, let alone adjust them! With the frunk lid closed, the nozzle assembly is under the back edge of the hood, and recessed by 2 inches or so. I tried looking at it by leaning my face down onto the windshield, and from inside the car, and could not see the nozzles from either position. It is possible the nozzles were in my line of sight but not visible because they were in shadow. Regardless, I could not see them so I did not see how i could adjust them. I tried poking around what I think is the nozzle assembly (a black block with 2 nozzles in it, I think) but could not distinguish the nozzles. Lifting the hood, the underside of the nozzle assembly is visible, but not the nozzles themselves. And you could not really adjust them, with the hood up, because the spray would not be hitting the glass the same way.
So how does anyone do any adjustment?
I must have missed something, but I could not see how to get access to them, let alone adjust them.
So, my apologies for suggesting that ravejads could adjust them himself -- maybe you can, but I don't see how!
Anyone else able to do this? if so, please enlighten us!

I saw in another thread that to replace the wiper you used a setting on the touch screen, not the wiper stalk, to move the wiper up on the window and "Park" it so you would have access to the wiper itself.
True. Different issue. You are referring to the wiper service setting on the Settings page of the Controls and Settings menu. Use it whenever I clean the windshield and wiper blades.
What I was referring to is how to adjust the washer nozzles. Or maybe you were responding to something else, earlier in this thread?

I have the same problem. Upper 1/3 stays dirty. Haven't had it serviced.

I recall an old thread, probably from last winter, that said if you have the heated nozzles that's part of the cold weather package, they can't be replaced with the spray (vs stream) nozzles.

I have the same problem. Upper 1/3 stays dirty. Haven't had it serviced.

I recall an old thread, probably from last winter, that said if you have the heated nozzles that's part of the cold weather package, they can't be replaced with the spray (vs stream) nozzles.
Right. There are videos on YouTube that show the spray pattern with standard nozzles (i.e., not winter package) and with the winter package nozzles. The non-winter nozzles produce a spray, the winter ones produce streams. Of course, the nozzles could also have changed over time, with newer ones being different from older ones, not sure of that.

It's certainly up to you to decide if you want to try this, but what I've successfully done with other vehicles is to insert the stoutest sewing needle that still will fit in the nozzle's orifice, and using that as a lever persuade the nozzle in the direction I think it should go.

It's certainly up to you to decide if you want to try this, but what I've successfully done with other vehicles is to insert the stoutest sewing needle that still will fit in the nozzle's orifice, and using that as a lever persuade the nozzle in the direction I think it should go.
Me, too, on other cars (Benzes). But my E-class nozzles were on top of the hood, easily visible and accessible, and easily adjusted. I can neither see nor get at the nozzles on my Model S. Tried yesterday -- don't see how to get at them. Maybe I need better light and smaller hands!