Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers won't freaking stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to get into the therapy argument. I'll just say that when the AI wiper system goes crazy, I set it to manual which removes the danger out of it. I see the automatic wiper system as "available when it feels like it", which is a bummer, but the danger side of it can be alleviated easily.
The issue I ran into when using the manual speed setting is that adjustment needed with changing condition. I was driving from Orange Country to Indian Well 2 months ago, and it was an ever changing rain intensity through that 1.5 hours of driving. That was when I discovered that auto wiper doesn't work, and that adjusting the wiper speed constantly through the touch screen really is dangerous when I am in an unfamiliar freeway with construction and people driving at high speed in raining condition. It would have been perfectly fine if I can change the speed via a stalk like traditional cars because I wouldn't have to take my eye off the road. So the issue really isn't with the auto wiper not working, it's that the backup wiper control is just not safe to use.

FYI, I had requested a service yesterday after discovering that my Model 3 auto wiper still doesn't operate in a rain storm. They had initially setup a mobile appointment, but have since asked me to go into their service center at start of the year after they did a remote diagnostic. Perhaps it's a camera issue?

FYI, I had requested a service yesterday after discovering that my Model 3 auto wiper still doesn't operate in a rain storm. They had initially setup a mobile appointment, but have since asked me to go into their service center at start of the year after they did a remote diagnostic. Perhaps it's a camera issue?
If it's like the one on my 2004 BMW - which works perfectly, by the way - it's an infra red sensor on the back of the rear view mirror.

If it's like the one on my 2004 BMW - which works perfectly, by the way - it's an infra red sensor on the back of the rear view mirror.
Tesla reinvented auto wiper sensor and is using one of the front facing cameras to detect rain. It's likely why its operation can be very finicky compared to the typical conventional rain sensor. We also have a BMW X7 and that auto wiper system works beautifully!

I get it, having all controls on a touchscreen only really works well if most things are automated, especially things that are crucial to operation/security. Automatic wipers do fall in that category, and they are not working well. You could leave them in full or fast position, which will always work whatever the amount of rain. It's just a bit annoying, but it's not a security concern.
Alternatively, you can use the voice commands, which has a physical button on the steering wheel, to change the wiper setting. None of those options is a replacement for a fully robust automatic wiper system, I completely understand. I'm just pointing out potential solutions.

Reactions: Sporty
Fiddling with the touch screen to set the wipers to manual or off is very sub-par.

Voice controls can be a bit better than the above solution, but these are all apologies to a poorly executed feature. One whose sole purpose was to save Tesla some money. It’s a step backward from a simple rain sensor based arrangement.

It has been this way since the 3 debuted in 2017. Tesla could fix it, if they wanted to. However, games and fart noises are a higher priority, as is the relentless pursuit of full self driving, which is 4 years late in coming.

Priorities. 😌

Tesla reinvented auto wiper sensor and is using one of the front facing cameras to detect rain. It's likely why its operation can be very finicky compared to the typical conventional rain sensor. We also have a BMW X7 and that auto wiper system works beautifully!
Most German automakers have standardized supply chains and share many of the underlying components like the rain sensors. Allegedly, the sensor in my 2013 S is the same one used by Mercedes. They had a ~10% stake in Tesla at that time, IIRC, which they sold, probably much to their chagrin!

The steering wheel itself came from Mercedes, in fact.

Most German automakers have standardized supply chains and share many of the underlying components like the rain sensors. Allegedly, the sensor in my 2013 S is the same one used by Mercedes. They had a ~10% stake in Tesla at that time, IIRC, which they sold, probably much to their chagrin!

The steering wheel itself came from Mercedes, in fact.
gearstalk and window buttons are merc too in the model s.

Sometimes the auto wiper feature thinks it's supposed to wipe when there's no rain and I can't get it to stop.

Finally I shouted "STOP THE F-ING WIPERS!" and it did.

But I'd like to be able to leave it in auto mode and not have it trigger falsely, and if it does then I'd like to be able to turn the damn thing off.

Suggestions? Is it just me?
I rebooted the touchscreen computer and that fixed for me.

I rebooted the touchscreen computer and that fixed for me.
Tried that a few times and it didn't appear to fix it.

BTW, I am curious if there is correlation to the version of FSD computer in the car. I have a 2018 Model 3 with Hardware 2.5. Does anyone with hardware 3.0 having the same wiper issue? If not, could this be that the latest wiper code is not suitable for 2.5's processing power?

AP3 and wipers have a mind of their own... sometimes. I don't think it's related.
It’s not the AP3 that’s causing the problem. It’s the camera sensors and the software that’s running the wipers subroutine.

This is separate topic - I think there are issues with the hardware and software stack in general on the 3 and Y. Sometimes, the event triggers are just not recognized in time. Since I will be interacting with the Tesla hardware team shortly, I am planning to bring this up to one of the senior execs who I know well.

1. Homelink doesn’t work reliably.
2. Auto fold mirrors don’t unfold in time consistently when pulling out of the garage.
3. Navigation is sometimes too late to inform of upcoming turns, or places the car in a completely different location (the latter could be just the GPS signal loss issue)
4. User profile is not recognized reliably when entering the car. Sometimes it works, but more often than not, it does not work. The seats, mirrors stay in the previous profile most of the time.
5. The side camera video feeds take a long time to become visible when backing out of the garage (when they would be needed the most). They are black and showing a turning ring until after you’ve pulled out. Then they become available.

Most of these issues are related to how fast the CPU is managing its various tasks and subroutines, which in turn is related to the software stack prioritizing its work. Some could also be related to sensor warm up time, and things related to boot up times.

Taken together, one or two things in the above list show up 1-2 days of the week.

Yesterday I drove in the rain in Los Angeles.

The wipers went faster than necessary when we were stopped, and not fast enough to make it easy to see when we were moving.

I dunno. You'd think that a car this advanced in so many ways would have basic things together when they've been figured out perfectly for decades.

I really like the car, but this needs addressing - and I don't believe it's the hardware stack in this case, it's its brains.

My answer was badly written i guess. The "ap3" part was answering the previous post... I'm not saying it's related to ap3...
Yeah, I'm just grousing that it wasn't easy to drive in the rain after dark (headlights reflected in raindrops on the windshield), and it should be.

I'd be in favor of Tesla redirecting resources (meaning engineers) who are working on self-driving - which is destined to be a failure until every car has it - to making the windshield wipers work properly.

They sure got a whole lot of things right, though. 100+ years of automobiles being constantly refined under intense competition, and they leapfrogged everyone else.

2. Auto fold mirrors don’t unfold in time consistently when pulling out of the garage.
Of course they should fix all the things in your list.
But you can set the auto-lock feature (which folds the mirrors) to not happen when within the GPS fence of your home.
Maybe good when you park in a garage, not-so-good when you happen to park in your driveway and forget to lock your car

Of course they should fix all the things in your list.
But you can set the auto-lock feature (which folds the mirrors) to not happen when within the GPS fence of your home.
Maybe good when you park in a garage, not-so-good when you happen to park in your driveway and forget to lock your car
I already have the autolock to not happen in my garage. However, I do believe the mirrors are set to auto fold when entering my garage. (which I want, because my other car is the S, which is quite wide, and doesn’t have folding mirrors! (2013 model))

Just a follow up. Talked to the service center and turns out that only thing they can do is test whether the wiper issue is due to a worn wiper motor. Other than that, they will just report the issue to engineering and hope it gets addressed. Looks like I just have to hope one of the future releases will fix the wiper...

Status
Not open for further replies.