Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless front parking camera with monitor for front bumper protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a bummer.

It would seem strange that Tesla would use Ethernet (or include two connectors) when generally the console computers are connected to by serial buses like USB. That being said, there are two NVIDIA Visual Computing Modules (VCM) in the car, so it doesn't seem out of the question (both ports--one per VCM--would have to be connected to a Ethernet hub or router).

Note: The stuff I pointed to is the development platform, so not what's in the actual box behind the touch screen.'

I guess at the end of the day we'll have to just wait for you to "open 'er up" to see what the connectors are for--if you're going to pull it out of the dash anyway, maybe you can just disconnect it completely so you can remove the metal casing and get some detailed pictures of the board and components (that will tell you a lot more than just the connectors). As for removing the touchscreen, I think you'll have to start pulling out large chunks of the dash. I'll be stopping by the Service Center this week or early next to pick up my car, so I'll see if I can ask the adviser for a tour of the place and see if any vehicles are ripped apart (supposedly the one I'm going to, which is in Van Nuys, is the 3rd busiest in the country).

Other pictures of the Jetson development board:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NV_Jetson-Bottom-blackweb.jpg

http://blogs.nvidia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NV_Jetson-Edge2-black2.jpg

http://blogs.nvidia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NV_Jetson-3qtr-black.jpg

http://blogs.nvidia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NV_Jetson-Edge-black2.jpg

It would seem strange that Tesla would use Ethernet (or include two connectors) when generally the console computers are connected to by serial buses like USB. That being said, there are two NVIDIA Visual Computing Modules (VCM) in the car, so it doesn't seem out of the question (both ports--one per VCM--would have to be connected to a Ethernet hub or router).

Note: The stuff I pointed to is the development platform, so not what's in the actual box behind the touch screen.'

I guess at the end of the day we'll have to just wait for you to "open 'er up" to see what the connectors are for--if you're going to pull it out of the dash anyway, maybe you can just disconnect it completely so you can remove the metal casing and get some detailed pictures of the board and components (that will tell you a lot more than just the connectors). As for removing the touchscreen, I think you'll have to start pulling out large chunks of the dash. I'll be stopping by the Service Center this week or early next to pick up my car, so I'll see if I can ask the adviser for a tour of the place and see if any vehicles are ripped apart (supposedly the one I'm going to, which is in Van Nuys, is the 3rd busiest in the country).

Other pictures of the Jetson development board:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NV_Jetson-Bottom-blackweb.jpg

http://blogs.nvidia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NV_Jetson-Edge2-black2.jpg

http://blogs.nvidia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NV_Jetson-3qtr-black.jpg

http://blogs.nvidia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NV_Jetson-Edge-black2.jpg

I'm not so sure I want to pull the touchscreen out of the dash without some professional guidance or assistance. I may be intrepid about these kinds of things but removing the touchscreen seems over the top for me.

I'm back from China and all of the parts I need to finish the work on the front camera set up were awaiting when I returned home. At the very least I'll be able to rig the front camera for some tests this weekend. I won't be able to finish the PCB (have to make a few changes in the design) but I should be able to get some photos up showing the exact front view on the touch screen. It should take another week to complete final front camera set-up and make it all controllable from the touch screen.

I'm back from China and all of the parts I need to finish the work on the front camera set up were awaiting when I returned home. At the very least I'll be able to rig the front camera for some tests this weekend. I won't be able to finish the PCB (have to make a few changes in the design) but I should be able to get some photos up showing the exact front view on the touch screen. It should take another week to complete final front camera set-up and make it all controllable from the touch screen.

Glad your back pal and cant wait to see the progress....Any idea how we can handle the reverse image?

Glad your back pal and cant wait to see the progress....Any idea how we can handle the reverse image?

I'm setting it up so the switch from rear to front camera will be made via the touchscreen. For now, both can't be on at the same time. But down the road a solution might be possible to have both on, with image each covering half of the touchscreen. One step at a time...

I'm setting it up so the switch from rear to front camera will be made via the touchscreen. For now, both can't be on at the same time. But down the road a solution might be possible to have both on, with image each covering half of the touchscreen. One step at a time...

I meant the rear camera your using for the front, wont it be backwards when looking at the screen, cause its made for a reverse camera?

I meant the rear camera your using for the front, wont it be backwards when looking at the screen, cause its made for a reverse camera?

Misunderstood.

For now there doesn't appear to be a way to flip the image on the horizontal plane, but for parking purposes, when all we're concerned about is hitting obstacles that might damage the front bumper, in my case I don't think it matters very much.

Last edited:
Misunderstood.

For now there doesn't appear to be a way to flip the image on the horizontal plane, but for parking purposes, when all we're concerned about is hitting obstacles that might damage the front bumper, my case I don't think it matters very much.
I wonder how distracting this would be when trying to pull in "straight" into a spot...
But I guess this is something to worry about once the basic functionality is there.

Rick, have you determined if it's the camera or the VCM that does the image flip? If the cam, then if we could get another cam that's compatible with the screen, we could get around that problem right?

It's the camera that flips the image on the horizontal plane. If we can find the manufacturer (it's made in Japan) perhaps we can find a version that doesn't flip the image.

Made major progress today toward installation of the front camera. Finished installation of the cables and connectors for the Tesla camera, connected them to the touch screen, and ran a few tests. It works like a charm, as the photos below indicate. All that’s left is to finish the PCB then attach the front and rear cameras as well as the touchscreen connections and I’m done. This should take about a week.

The Tesla Amphenol cables and connectors were delivered while I was in China, so I used those instead of the knock-offs from China I had obtained about a month ago. Two cables are necessary: a short one (about 2 feet) with female connectors on each end, and a long one with male connectors on each end. The short cable is necessary for the gender change required to make the connection to the camera (it has a male connector). Both cables are Tesla parts purchased from the NY City service center. The complete set sold by Tesla includes two long cables and the short one.

Here's the camera attached temporarily with double-faced tape over the top of the nose cone for the test. It's permanent location will be under the bottom lip of the nose cone. I trimmed off the metal wings on both sides of the camera, as they're not needed for the front mount.

_DSC4027.JPG

I ran the long cable from the nose cone under the frunk plastic trim on the driver’s side, then through the narrow opening under the fender that exits through the door jamb. I threaded this under the rubber door trim then through the dash side panel into the area under the driver’s side kick panel where the rear camera connects to the cable that runs to the touch screen. This is very easy to do.

_DSC4011.JPG

_DSC4012.JPG
_DSC40151.JPG

_DSC40171.JPG
_DSC40181.JPG

I then disconnected the rear camera, plugged in the front (which was placed over the top of the nose cone), pushed the camera button, and voila, it worked. Photos below. Notice that the image is reversed on the horizontal plane. Can't do anything about that, but as the camera's primary job is to show obstacles that could damage the bumper, I'm not at all conceded.

The mess around the curb is all the tools and other stuff I needed to do the job.

_DSC4021.JPG

_DSC4025.JPG

Last edited: