Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Phone Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious if anyone has experimented with setting up a wireless charging device (Qi or otherwise) in their vehicle. The current phone charger port is not as ideal as I would like, but the configuration makes it possible to thread a cable to the USB port and place a charge pad in that location. Before I dive into this, I wanted to see if there was anyone else with some baseline experience.

Thx!

I was curious if anyone has experimented with setting up a wireless charging device (Qi or otherwise) in their vehicle. The current phone charger port is not as ideal as I would like, but the configuration makes it possible to thread a cable to the USB port and place a charge pad in that location. Before I dive into this, I wanted to see if there was anyone else with some baseline experience.

Thx!
Have two QI for Nexus 5 phones. They work great. Just set the phone down and it charges.
This is for a Model S... don't know where you would place them in the X.
IMG_20150430_123644 (1).jpg

Thanks for the pic! I have something similar in mind, but plan to install it against the base of where the iphone currently docks (threading the charging base cable through the port currently holding the lightning connector). I have the phone in a wallet case which I prefer to use and have added a 3rd party Qi adapter which does work through the case. If all goes to well, the phone will "look" like it's cradled, but simply just resting against the charging pad at a 70 degree angle. Since I don't have much experience with this type of charging, is the rate of charge comparable to plugging in directly?

Thanks for the pic! I have something similar in mind, but plan to install it against the base of where the iphone currently docks (threading the charging base cable through the port currently holding the lightning connector). I have the phone in a wallet case which I prefer to use and have added a 3rd party Qi adapter which does work through the case. If all goes to well, the phone will "look" like it's cradled, but simply just resting against the charging pad at a 70 degree angle. Since I don't have much experience with this type of charging, is the rate of charge comparable to plugging in directly?
It's the same as plugging in directly. Delivers up to 5 watts power (1 amp at 5 volts). We've found they work very well and they are very convenient to just set the phone down rather than fiddling with a plug.

It's the same as plugging in directly. Delivers up to 5 watts power (1 amp at 5 volts). We've found they work very well and they are very convenient to just set the phone down rather than fiddling with a plug.

Plugging in directly delivers 2.1A @ 5 volts on most modern phones. So it's the same power as you get from a 1st generation apple or android charger.

You may want to be careful about leaving you phone unattached to anything while accelerating! I could easily see you phone flying into the back seat while you show off the acceleration to your buddies. You could attach neodymium magnets to the charger to hold the phone, or Velcro.
Tesla P85D Insane Mode - Pins phone with 1.2 gs - YouTube

For my Nexus 5, I used to have The Air Dock - Wireless Qi Car Charger Dock for Your Smartphone with a dual 4.8A anker 12v adapter. Problem is that the mount doesn't stick well on the leather dash. Probably not a chance on alcantara.

In our other cars, it worked great, just not the Tesla. Super convenient way to charge the phone and use it for other purposes (dash cam, GPS, etc.).

We've upgraded our phones to the 5X (no Qi charging) so the airdock is back in the box. Instead we use this magnetic mount and a USB C 12V adapter.

Slimline Magnetic Phone holder - Abstract Ocean

I have played with the idea and even made a custom pad that charges my phone wireless and keeps it in place safely. But I noticed the call quality isn't as good when it's charging on the pad. So I abandoned the idea and went back to a cable.

I used to have a Qi pad in my Model S and an adaptor plugged in to my iPhone 6. I noticed that 1) my normal driving was enough to make the phone move off the charging pad and 2) when playing audible books the phone charges really slowly (because it's using juice while adding it).

It wasn't a good solution for me because of those two things. If one has a phone with a built-in receiver (so one does not need to choose between the two systems) and that built-in charging system works better than the one I had, I think it would be great.

I will say the built in system in my GMC Yukon Denali works well, partly because the charging pad is recessed. It is not large enough, however, for an iPhone Plus.

You may want to be careful about leaving you phone unattached to anything while accelerating! I could easily see you phone flying into the back seat while you show off the acceleration to your buddies. You could attach neodymium magnets to the charger to hold the phone, or Velcro.
Tesla P85D Insane Mode - Pins phone with 1.2 gs - YouTube
I haven't had a problem with the phones lying flat on the console (but don't have Insane mode). I do have a few chargers with magnets but don't need to use them.

I was just toying around with the wireless base charger I have...this one will actually fit into the holster once I change the plug for a micro USB. The side rails will also hold it in place and the phone can just rest against it (with all of the ludicrous mode caveats withstanding). If it works well and I don't notice issues with phone reception, I will probably order the black version.

wirelesscharger.jpg

nice thread. i'd love something like this, especially since my phone is constantly flopping back and forth on the charger (and probably doing damage to my usb port on the phone). but because of the flopping, i'd definitely need something to secure it in place while charging. i haven't made this a project but can't find any way to do it easily on the charging dock. would love to see more ideas from the more crafty!