Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiring a Nema 14-50 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might ask that a moderator move your post to the more appropriate sub-forum for charging/electrical questions;

Model 3: Battery & Charging

Choice of 14-50 or 14-30 receptacle will determine what wire gauge you need to use. You need to provide more information about your install for anyone to provide any help to you.

What is your main breaker panel and how will you run conduit to your outlet location?

Have you read the proper section in the NEC?

Read this thread, it answers most of your questions;

How do I properly ground my subpanel that only has one neutral/ground bar?

You might ask that a moderator move your post to the more appropriate sub-forum for charging/electrical questions;

Model 3: Battery & Charging

Choice of 14-50 or 14-30 receptacle will determine what wire gauge you need to use. You need to provide more information about your install for anyone to provide any help to you.

What is your main breaker panel and how will you run conduit to your outlet location?

Have you read the proper section in the NEC?

Read this thread, it answers most of your questions;

How do I properly ground my subpanel that only has one neutral/ground bar?
Thanks

The answer is no.
But you could do a 6-50 receptacle instead, which does not need the neutral wire, and then get the Tesla 6-50 adapter. This assumes a 40 or 50 A circuit, though. If you can only do a 30A circuit, then 6-30 (or L6-30) is required instead, for which you would need a custom adapter since Tesla does not offer one.

If you're wiring a 14-50 you should be using 6/3. I also strongly recommend running the ground back to the main breaker panel and keeping everything in your house on one common ground in order to avoid grounding loops.

If you are running 50A circuit you really only need 6/2 (2 Hots and a Ground) and should install a 6-50 Outlet.
Neither the UMC nor Wall Connector actually uses the Neutral.

It's kind of ironic that they supply a 14-50 Adapter with the car.

EDIT: @iluvmacs beat me to it.

If you are running 50A circuit you really only need 6/2 (2 Hots and a Ground) and should install a 6-50 Outlet.
Neither the UMC nor Wall Connector actually uses the Neutral.

It's kind of ironic that they supply a 14-50 Adapter with the car.

EDIT: @iluvmacs beat me to it.

Even though the Tesla adapter doesn't use the neutral I believe to pass code the neutral interface on the outlet needs to be cared for since the outlet could be used for other equipment at a future date.

Reactions: Alketi
Even though the Tesla adapter doesn't use the neutral I believe to pass code the neutral interface on the outlet needs to be cared for since the outlet could be used for other equipment at a future date.

Of course.

So they should include a 6-50 adapter not a 14-50 with the car. So that people don't waste money on running a Neutral all the way from the Panel to inside the adapter.

Folks shouldn't be installing new 14-50 Outlets for their Tesla.

Of course.

So they should include a 6-50 adapter not a 14-50 with the car. So that people don't waste money on running a Neutral all the way from the Panel to inside the adapter.

Folks shouldn't be installing new 14-50 Outlets for their Tesla.

I've seen that argument before. We're not talking about a huge cost in running one additional conductor... unless we're talking about runs that are 100+ feet.

I agree. It's not a huge amount of money.

I suspect the reason they do include the 14-50 adapter is that it's common for RV's/Boats etc.

That's what makes sense to me.... their thought is most people won't wire a home outlet without a neutral, and it's more likely that people will want to charge at an RV park, etc., where an existing 14-50 outlet is much more common than anything else.