Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wisconsin Electric Vehicle Fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add Wisconsin to states that charge EV fee. $100 annual surcharge.

Wisconsin Department of Transportation Electric vehicle surcharge

Seems unfair to charge a flat fee for people that put very low miles on the vehicle. Is there not a better way to implement extra funds for road repairs? Thoughts?

Well, either simply replace fuel taxation using weight-mile fees or figure out the actual cost impact and introduce an appropriate system.

Oregon was trialing per-mile fees, but it seems to have switched to a system designed to flatten fees overall. Heavy vehicles still pay weight-mile fees there.

I know this is old but with a road tax of $0.48 a gallon run the math once and I think you will find EV owners are still getting off easy unless you drive a tiny amount of miles.

If buying gas you pay $100 in tax on 208 gallons of fuel, at 30mpg that is a massive 6,250miles. I would venture that the vast majority of us drive more than that, and a lot of us would be driving something that gets less than 30mpg

Would you prefer some massively complicated system with huge overhead? If anything but this simple system the government will make it complicated and expensive to implement.