Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With so much flooding in Florida, why is it a Republican state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that a person having the ability to read social cues and act on them well is ethically neutral in and of itself. History has some populists who are highly skilled at reading a crowd and motivating them. Barack Obama is one of them, so was Adolf Hitler. It's about the only talent the current president has.

Cunning sociopaths can be very good at reading social cues and doing whatever it takes to get their mark to go along with their plan. Ultimately that plan only serves them because they are incapable of true empathy. Studies on sociopath traits in business found that among CEOs sociopathy was twice as common as it was in the general population.

The skills of political manipulation are also ethically neutral. History has some brilliant political tacticians who manipulated the system to achieve great things. Most of these people also had their failings too. Look at the lives of most of the politicians who we consider as doing great good for the most people and all of them have some pretty deep flaws. FDR broke with tradition and ran for 4 terms, he has been criticized for being the first president to heavily deficit spend in peacetime, but we have some tremendous infrastructure works that still benefit this country to this day. People who live in rural areas and are able to read this can thank FDR for bringing electricity to you.

Lyndon Johnson got rid of the Jim Crow laws and pretty much stopped black people from getting lynched in the South. He also introduced Medicare and some other things that benefit many if not all of us. But he was a major political manipulator. I believe Kevin Spacey's character in House of Cards is based on LBJ.

Richard Nixon actually got the US out of the Vietnam War (after trying to escalate it true), signed the EPA into law, opened the door to normalizing relations with China, and did other good things, but he resigned in disgrace.

On the flipside, George W Bush is an affable person outside of politics, but he and his White House took advantage of the crisis and fear after 9/11 to pass some pretty draconian legislation that is still with us (The Patriot Act), got us into a war that destabilized the Middle East, and let the biggest financial meltdown in 80 years happen on his watch.

Those are just US examples, most countries have their own examples ranging from cunning politicians to outright dictators.

There is also another issue with "doing the right thing". The answer to a short term issue might be clearer, but the further into the future you go, the harder it is to predict exactly what will happen and what the long term consequences of a person's or a people's actions will be. None of the conspirator in Sarajevo who assassinated the Archduke of the Austro-Hungarian empire would trigger the bloodiest war in history (to date).

Back when the internal combustion engine was introduced, it was hailed as "pollution free" transportation. The horse manure and urine problems in major cities was reaching crisis proportions. But the advent of the internal combustion engine and the widespread use of fossil fuels has had many long term consequences nobody foresaw when cars replaced horses and saved everyone from the horse manure crisis at the turn of the 20th century.

The technologies that will replace fossil fuels, in at least some areas look benign, and I can't think of any major downsides, but there might be issues down the road we didn't think of.

When politicians think of long term solutions, they need to weigh the short term cost vs the long term benefits. Short term the costs might just be the political opposition getting the upper hand for a while or there might be short term political fallout in other ways as constituents are harmed in the short term. Is a politician going to risk his or her job for a vote that won't show benefits for a generation or more? And what damage could the opposition do if the controlling party trying to do the "right thing" gets turfed out because of the short term costs?

It's a complex issue with no easy answers.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Studies on sociopath traits in business found that among CEOs sociopathy was twice as common as it was in the general population.
A 2005 study on psychopathy found that of all job types CEOs have the highest occurrence
It suggests that Trump manipulated others to gain his wealth, rather than being ideologically ingenious
It's not surprising that those of poorer critical thought (& hence probably education) tend to think that a successful business person makes a good president. It's being played out before the world's eyes now.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrivingRockies
Thread title assumes that climate change awareness is automatically correlated to political tendencies; I disagree with that premise regardless of my own affiliation. That said, I live in a county that has been exclusively one-party rule for almost 45 years now but the good news is that a large group of residents just got our main city to adopt a resolution committing Sarasota to transition to 100% renewable energy sources.

City Commission moves toward supporting 100 percent renewable energy pledge

P.S. Both city and county have been great at supporting EV chargers over several years and actively supporting drive electric events.

As someone whose PhD tenure was in the floor below that of PSU's Meteorology department, and whose denizens were and are REAL scientists, I take extreme umbrage at and will not permit without challenge journalism student John Coleman, who through PSU correspondence courses obtained his meteorological knowledge, to call himself "a real scientist". He is not.

C-zF-OdWsAAOWbj.jpg

That's a good point, as propinquity does not determine qualification, so I'll elaborate: MS in Geochemistry & Mineralogy; PhD in Resource Economics. I am more than qualified so to discourse. The floor-by-floor was to demonstrate I also am knowledgeable of what occurs in that school's Meteorology program, and the high caliber of its real students.

Reactions: Jaff
Plenty of research has repeatedly shown denial of the science of anthropogenic global warming is a conservative issue

That plenty is almost exclusively in the USA. Only in the USA has science become a seemingly political issue. Climate science particularly has become so, only in the USA.

Conservatives, scientifically speaking, are almost always extremely concerned about conservation. They are rarely deniers of anything that has been scientifically established as highly probable.
Such issues as climate, environmental degradation, physical anthropology, carbon dating, human vaccines and so on are not political issues in the vast majority of the world.
I do understand your point. The entire world is watching the absurdity of withdrawal from the Paris Accord and denial of environmental risks as currently promoted by US politicians. The entire world is appalled. The entire world includes people from the extreme left, extreme right and everywhere in between. It also includes vast numbers of very conservative religious adepts as well as atheists. In short, only in America is denial of reality viewed as a political position.

That is not to say the entire world is not being put at risk by widespread delusions. It is. Much of the world is quite frightened by the US current widespread delusions.

As a dual citizen, current legal resident in two countries, one of which is the US I can say I am very worried. Almost everyone I know is very worried.

When we think of climate change, most of us think of environmental consequences like rising sea levels, elevated temperatures and melting glaciers.

In some parts of the world, like south Florida or the mountains of Switzerland, those shifts already are affecting daily life. In Miami, for example, wastewater treatment plants are being re-built higher, seawalls raised and car parks designed with flood gates – not only in response to flooding today, but with an eye to the sea levels of tomorrow....

How climate change will transform business and the workforce