Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Within Spec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Service advisor (Las Vegas) says a gap is within spec and there is nothing they can do about it.
TeslaIssue.jpg
What is your thought ?

Break out your calipers and measure it. Tesla actually does have a spec on what is acceptable for panel gaps. I forget the number offhand but it is stickied in a post about service bulletins.

I doubt that is truly “within spec”

My service center told me this is an issue with all of the ones they had on their lot. I looked at a few of them, and sure enough, they all looked the same. I was told by a mobile tech there was a problem with the bracket that hold the bumper in. Sounds like a design problem to me.

Mine is not that bad, though, so I think they can make it better but perhaps not eliminate it.

• Informative
Reactions: harken86
I had similar issue on right rear panel. I called it out within 24 hours of purchase. Mobile tech came first and couldn’t fix. Scheduled an appointment at the service center. They did order a part before I arrive for that appointment. Took it in last week and they fixed it, looks identical to the left side now which is flush, very happy with the end result. Pictures attached just another data point FYI.

Attachments

• FD96A3B2-D2F3-4498-88F7-C1E300B7BDDB.jpeg
    FD96A3B2-D2F3-4498-88F7-C1E300B7BDDB.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 63D431E4-639A-45FD-84BA-DE4F15DA3740.jpeg
    63D431E4-639A-45FD-84BA-DE4F15DA3740.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 135
  • Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
That corner on my bumper does stick out, although very little. I'm critical for fit and finish, and I never noticed it.

The curve of the bumper corner has to be just right to match the side panel. That corner is unsupported, and I'm able to press in on it and make it flush, but whatever connects the bumper to the car is too far from that edge to pull it level. (I'm now wondering what it might do in the heat of Texas sunlight?)

...hope that makes sense...