Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I take delivery of this model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I take delivery of this model Y? The exterior of this car looks fantastic EXCEPT for the rear passenger side door being misaligned:

IMG_5232.jpeg
If I take delivery, will this be easily fixable by Tesla Service? Or will they just tell me it's "within spec" even though the door clearly seems misaligned?

• Funny
Reactions: beachmiles and KJD
Should I take delivery of this model Y? The exterior of this car looks fantastic EXCEPT for the rear passenger side door being misaligned:

View attachment 964614If I take delivery, will this be easily fixable by Tesla Service? Or will they just tell me it's "within spec" even though the door clearly seems misaligned?

You already have recent experience with Tesla and Adjustments, right? At least it looks like it, from what you have posted here previously about taking delivery of a Model Y in march of this year:

Since it looks like you are buying another Tesla very soon after the one in that thread, it must have come out acceptable.

I certainly would. You will find some misalignment and/or uneven gaps on almost any production car, none are perfect. Teslas get WAY more scrutiny than other legacy automakers, because they shipped so many cars with larger/more frequent build quality issues than legacy autos about 5+ years ago.

They have continued to improve ever since establishing their unfortunate reputation, though they are still no equal to legacy auto. Unfortunately they brought this on themselves, and it will take at least as long to shake their build quality reputation as it took to establish it...

It’s hard to tell how difficult this will be without seeing the sill and front door. I would ask them to send it to a body shop for the repair. Do not allow them to do it at the SC.
Why? I would think Tesla SCs have so much experience with correcting alignment they should be able to correct it as well if not better than an independent shop. I'd only take it to an independent body shop if I was unhappy with what the SC was able to do.

Why? I would think Tesla SCs have so much experience with correcting alignment they should be able to correct it as well if not better than an independent shop. I'd only take it to an independent body shop if I was unhappy with what the SC was able to do.
Whether or not the SC can do a door alignment properly depends on experience, tooling, and the nature of the misalignment.

For example, the Tesla SC may look at this door and think “Ha, easy, I’ll just move the striker in and up 1mm or two.” That could be the appropriate remedy, but it’s more likely that the entire door needs to be shifted up on its hinges. Align one door in this manner and you need to do the front door as well, after finishing the front door you may need to do the fender. After all that you may need to adjust strikers. OK, great, now the car looks perfect, but wait, now it’s super loud on the freeway…Oh, dang, my doors don’t seal properly anymore.

Door adjustments can be trivial but often they are not. That’s why I let a body shop do it.

As for “letting them try”, I prefer not to waste time. Whether or not someone is willing do this depends on many factors too.

Whether or not the SC can do a door alignment properly depends on experience, tooling, and the nature of the misalignment.

For example, the Tesla SC may look at this door and think “Ha, easy, I’ll just move the striker in and up 1mm or two.” That could be the appropriate remedy, but it’s more likely that the entire door needs to be shifted up on its hinges. Align one door in this manner and you need to do the front door as well, after finishing the front door you may need to do the fender. After all that you may need to adjust strikers. OK, great, now the car looks perfect, but wait, now it’s super loud on the freeway…Oh, dang, my doors don’t seal properly anymore.

Door adjustments can be trivial but often they are not. That’s why I let a body shop do it.

As for “letting them try”, I prefer not to waste time. Whether or not someone is willing do this depends on many factors too.
My point was since Tesla has had thousands of build quality issues to address over the years, they ought to be pretty good at it by now. I’d be very surprised if SCs haven’t developed detailed procedures for door and panel alignment and gaps by now Including the “experience and tooling.” The OP’s issue won‘t be anything they haven’t seen and addressed hundreds if not thousands of times…