Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wobbly Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have dual motor awd m3 and I've noticed for a while that the car wobbles and shifts around at high speeds. City driving and in some backroads the car handles great but on the highway, it seems to move around in the lane too much. When it is windy, the car abruptly moves around from one lane to another and it's extremely scary. The odd thing is that in autopilot, this is minimized. I've seen this to be prominent at speeds above 70 or in sharp turns. Has anyone else experienced such issue.

When I first got my Model 3, I felt the car weaving slightly when I floored it. I told Tesla SC that it seemed like the rear was fighting the front and asked them to 4-wheel align the car. Of course the guy looked at me like I was an idiot. They did the alignment, and it wasn't any better, and I won't go into what they made worse on here.

I finally bought my own laser and digital tools to do my own alignment and found the rear toe links loose. I tightened them well, and now the car is solid on heavy acceleration.

Moral of the story, Tesla doesn't always screw things together properly, and there's a good chance your SC is incompentent even though they think you are incompetent. So it's a roll of the dice if you'll get it fixed by them. Fortunately, I am handy.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
I have dual motor awd m3 and I've noticed for a while that the car wobbles and shifts around at high speeds. City driving and in some backroads the car handles great but on the highway, it seems to move around in the lane too much. When it is windy, the car abruptly moves around from one lane to another and it's extremely scary. The odd thing is that in autopilot, this is minimized. I've seen this to be prominent at speeds above 70 or in sharp turns. Has anyone else experienced such issue.
Highway is not grooved? Check the alignment as @TLLMRRJ mentions. If it's good, maybe increasing the toe-in, still within the acceptable range, might help with the weaving feeling. It should improve tracking, at the expense of a little faster wear. Obviously, have them check the toe-links, and do a road test.

If you can, drive someone else's Model 3, for comparison.

Reactions: android04