Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wood or carbon fiber decor with black interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BornToFly

Supporting Member
May 8, 2013
Baby Jet
I ordered a P100DL at the end of April. I asked for carbon fiber decor as a special order, but I was told it was no longer available, even off the menu. I just learned that carbon fiber is back. Original car available for delivery next week. I have to place a new order if I want carbon fiber. Which do you prefer? Anyone get a carbon fiber wrap on the inside over the wood and can comment on how good that looks?

Thanks!

If you're getting dark wood, I've seen many Model S with scratched up center console. Not sure if owners just don't take care of them or it's easily scratched.

Here is a pic of my interior with carbon fiber.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190310120941666_COVER.jpg

Last edited:
I bought my MS 2+ years ago and at the time chose an inventory model so I had a limmited choice on the interior (good deal and at the "end" of unlimited supercharging). I ended up with the carbon fiber and it is one of my favorite things about the interior. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Much nicer IMO for a sporty feel to the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: BornToFly
I do like the carbon fiber a lot. The carbon fiber panels have more depth than vinyl.

There are other recent upgrades. The car is a little quicker. If you weren’t able to configure with the carbon fiber, I wonder if the car has the more recent drive components. There’s a fellow that posted a time of 10.6 seconds in the quarter mile. If yours has the older drive components I might consider getting the newer one.

Would it be an option to order replacement interior panels and switch to the carbon fiber? That might be cheaper than ordering a whole new car.

I wonder why they wouldn’t let you order the carbon fiber. They must have known they were going to offer it as an option in the performance S. Anyway it is a very expensive car, I’d get what you want.

I guess I’ve never been a fan of wood in cars. We have a 98 Toyota Camry, it has glossy wood panels that are delaminating at the edges. I’m not saying the Tesla would delaminate but then I didn’t expect the Toyota to do it either.

• Helpful
Reactions: BornToFly
I debated this quite a bit too. One reason I finally decided on carbon fiber is that in most other brands, a CF interior is an incredibly expensive option - like in the $3000 range. Of course, those tend to be high gloss and beautiful, but considering it was only $250 for the Tesla, I felt like this was a good opportunity to have something novel. I am really glad I made this choice.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA