Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Woodpecker" Noise On Door Open/Close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I open or close a car door, there is a repetitive knocking noise that lasts for approximately 1 second. It seems to come from the front of the car, towards the passenger side.

It can occur from other events as well (I've noticed it around stops or starts of charging, for example).

Anyone have ideas of what this might be?

@XLR82XS: The site was not allowing an MP4 upload, so I had to include it in a zip. I am used to the wakeup clunk, but this is different. It's not happening when the car is driving or rocking, I notice it when the car is stationary. Maybe you can piece together some clues from the sound on the video. Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• VID_20191121_211730_2.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 123
I hear that rapid tapping noise after you shut the door -weird. Almost sounds like a flapping piece of metal or plastic like a loose bracket or similar. Maybe it's time to raise it and get under the car with an assistant and attempt to pinpoint it.

Wondering if there was ever a resolution to this. I have the same “woodpecker“ sound on my 3, happens under the same circumstances as the OP. Unfortunately there won’t be a HW3 upgrade in the cards for me.

I’m bringing it in this week, might be of some help to the techs.

I hear that rapid tapping noise after you shut the door -weird. Almost sounds like a flapping piece of metal or plastic like a loose bracket or similar. Maybe it's time to raise it and get under the car with an assistant and attempt to pinpoint it.
Since this was recently revived: the tapping noise I have is stated to be WITHIN SPEC according to Tesla. Even the mobile ranger tells me it's a design characteristic of the window regulator since it only happens when the windows are down. (front windows only)