Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Workers, Labor Groups Protest Tesla Firings in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]A rally was staged Tuesday at Tesla’s Fremont, Calf. factory to encourage the automaker to reinstate some of the hundreds of workers who were recently fired.

The rally was organized by the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW) and reportedly included dozens of workers and community members. In coordination with the protest, labor groups sent a letter to Tesla executives suggesting workers were recently terminated for supporting unionization and raising issues about pay and safety at the factory.

“Among the fired workers are people who have raised their voices with concerns about health and safety risks, fair pay and the right to organize free from intimidation, and we are concerned that these workers may have been unjustly fired for doing so,” the letter says. “We are calling for reinstatement of these workers and fair treatment for all employees.”

Tesla has attributed the recent firings to annual performance reviews. The company issued a statement on the protests saying it strives to be a fair and just company:

“No one at Tesla has ever or will ever have any action taken against them based on their feelings on unionization. Some employees recently left Tesla, but what has not been reported is that a much larger number – 17% of our employees – were promoted, and almost half of those promotions were within our factory in Fremont. We are a company where people can be promoted as quickly as their talents and work allow. It is not unexpected that union supporters would protest any decision we make, including this one, and we respect their right to do so.”

UAW has been leading efforts to unionize Tesla’s Fremont factory for more than a year. The group also filed an official complaint with the National Labor Relations Board alleging workers were harassed for distributing union materials. Tesla has called those claims “baseless.”

A video of the protest posted to YouTube is below.[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=NV23Kcq_ya8″ video_title=”1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
it was the UAW that caused the failure of the joint venture to fail, yes I do hate the corrupt, vile unions.

It is easy to blame UAW, but let the record shows in the history:

GM Called Out for NUMMI Closure

According to Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. CEO James Lentz during a testimony in the House Energy and Commerce Committee:

"Toyota is not shutting down NUMMI...It was General Motors abandoning NUMMI that (did this). That's the truth.”

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude and Tiger
And UAW left GM with no other option than to close it. Obviously Toyota executive is not going to give that level of details

Nummi: What Toyota Learned and GM Didn’t

The article says:

GM-Toyota partnership happened because:

1) "GM found use for a 20-year old plant that it had shuttered..." in exchange for learning from Toyota's manufacturing method.

2) Toyota never had a plant in the USA before, so this was an excellent training ground to adapt to US suppliers, US government regulations, and, most importantly, the UAW.

The intention of "salvaging old assets is not what this deal was about."

Once both sides got what they wanted, there's no need to salvage NUMMI.

GM learned Toyota's way (but GM plants don't want Toyota's way).

Toyota finished building its new plant in Kentucky.

So as you can see: salvaging NUMMI had never been the goal but its demise was well planned from the start.

It is easy to blame UAW, but let the record shows in the history:

GM Called Out for NUMMI Closure

According to Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. CEO James Lentz during a testimony in the House Energy and Commerce Committee:

"Toyota is not shutting down NUMMI...It was General Motors abandoning NUMMI that (did this). That's the truth.”
To be fair, the CEO was put on defensive and it was easy to blame GM. The article itself pointed out that although the excuse Toyota used for closing the plant was lower demand, at the same time they were opening a brand new plant which is non-union. I think it's easy to see that the lower labor costs of a non-union plant certainly played a major part in the decision.

"But Lentz says there's too much capacity in the U.S. given the market's collapse over the past two years.
Also rankling the 37-year UAW veteran is that in closing NUMMI, the auto maker is shuttering its only unionized North American facility ahead of opening a new assembly plant in right-to-work Blue Springs, MS."

Reactions: Tiger
It's in the news that the layoffs were because those who were fired were pro union.

Elon wont put up with this malarkey for much longer.

Give it a few years and Tesla will move production to china.

He probably is already setting up a facility there, under the pretence its just for the Asian market, so the transition to build all vehicles there wont be too difficult.

actually I don't think that you know what you are talking about because targeting an employee for dismissal based on union support could be deemed to be illegal.

I think it works nicely this way.. if I want 100% job security, I will spend a good amount of time working towards unionizing or alteast express my interest towards UAW and how great they are. I will make sure my activities are well known and visible.

TA-DA. Now I could be worst slacker in the whole team. The company cannot fire me, or in fact not promote me either. If they did, I will sue the hell out of them, for targeting me for supporting unions

Last edited by a moderator:
Nummi: What Toyota Learned and GM Didn’t

The article says:

GM-Toyota partnership happened because:

1) "GM found use for a 20-year old plant that it had shuttered..." in exchange for learning from Toyota's manufacturing method.

2) Toyota never had a plant in the USA before, so this was an excellent training ground to adapt to US suppliers, US government regulations, and, most importantly, the UAW.

The intention of "salvaging old assets is not what this deal was about."

Once both sides got what they wanted, there's no need to salvage NUMMI.

GM learned Toyota's way (but GM plants don't want Toyota's way).

Toyota finished building its new plant in Kentucky.

So as you can see: salvaging NUMMI had never been the goal but its demise was well planned from the start.
Who taught Toyota? try internet search; w. edwards deming manufacturing
W. Edwards Deming - Wikipedia

corruption in Unions - from 2005 try mafia and UAW search
Big Labor's Big Secret

Sadly, corruption is undermining both companies and unions and of course politics. One good source for politics is Chalmers Johnson series - Blowback, Sorrows of Empire, Nemesis.

Last edited: