Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth to upgrade from 2019 SR+ to the 2021 SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, just wondering are the heat pump and HW3 worth the upgrade from 2019 SR+ to 2021 SR+?

It will cost me around 10k CAD after trade in, I noticed the range seems to be better as well, but I'm not too sure.

Just want to get some advice, thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
I could not imagine trading in the 2019 SR+ for a 2021 SR+ just because of the minor (except for the heat pump) differences. Very few people for ANY car marquee would ever consider doing this. Now, if you wanted to trade UP (in tesla model 3 terms that would be for a LR AWD, or a Performance) that would at least make sense to consider.

For the same trim level, it makes very (very very) little sense. Since you asked for opinions, either consider trading up a trim, or dont do it at all unless there is some extenuating circumstances with your current vehicle we dont know (accident history, tons of rattles that bother you, etc etc).

Last edited:
Is the heat pump that much better that someone would consider trading for new of same model? I understand that I can only reference from a town that is pretty much 60 to 70F year round and original poster from Vancouver - so I can't judge for myself.
If we see 45 F, we are all dying... so bash me all you want. But, just curious about performance difference of a heat pump in a car.

Thanks all, was just wanna see what people think. My plan was to keep my current sr+ for a few more years then upgrade to a m3 long range or model s. Been hearing about heat pump thingy and just curious if it's worth it.

Thanks all, was just wanna see what people think. My plan was to keep my current sr+ for a few more years then upgrade to a m3 long range or model s. Been hearing about heat pump thingy and just curious if it's worth it.

Heck no! Wait it out man. Definitely not worth it. And it's not even a real upgrade, it's the same car with a few minor improvements.

A real upgrade would be a LR AWD or Performance.

I am not getting rid of my 2019 SR+ until the 4680 cells make their way to the 3. Resist the temptation

Hi all, just wondering are the heat pump and HW3 worth the upgrade from 2019 SR+ to 2021 SR+?

It will cost me around 10k CAD after trade in, I noticed the range seems to be better as well, but I'm not too sure.

Just want to get some advice, thanks!
yada-yada-everything in the world is subjective-yada. Now that's finished:
No, not worth it. I would rather buy a used LR (or even better, Stealth) for the same money as a new SR+
  • Better range
  • AWD
  • The biggest depreciation has already happened.
  • Heated rear seats
  • faster (if you care about that)
  • if you're lucky you might find one with EAP
Wait until the 2021 refresh has been delivered, I think the used car value on 2019 and 2020 models might drop a bit (though not by much. I'd rather jump on a stealth today than hope I find one for $1.5k less in 1 month).

Reactions: Watts_Up
It will cost me around 10k CAD after trade in....
Are you including sales taxes?

Can you check how much you did paid on your new SR+ and would paid on a new SR+, and what are the taxes on used cars?

I believe that you have to pay 12% of taxes on new cars and 7% on used cars:

British Columbia is one of the provinces in Canada that charges separate
7% Provincial Sales Tax (PST) and 5% federal Goods and Services Tax (GST).
For me, paying so much taxes will be a deterrent and I would try keeping my car as long as I can to amortize all the additional taxes costs.

However, if you are on the edge of getting a new car, why not looking at the Model Y?
- The Model Y as heat pump, and also a more practical trunk, and could have a tow hitch.
- Also living in a cold and snowy state, won't you prefer getting a LR and an AWD.
Of course a Model 3 SR+ starts at 53k CND and a Model Y LR AWD starts at 70k CND.

Totally worth the upgrade, in my opinion.

10k depreciation over 2 years is only $416 / mth.

if you can lock that in, i’d 100% upgrade to the newer model, even if it didn’t have the better battery, heat pump, chrome delete +++

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3