Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used SR+ purchase help - 2021 Upgrade worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to get a use model 3 soon, and I could really use some help.

Is the 2021 updates worth it vs. a 2019 to justify a 3-4k price difference ($34k vs. 37.5k - both with under 20k miles)

I live in GA, so the heat pump isn't a real big deal here. The infotainment still isn't HW3, the wireless charging and new console is nicer, but not a big deal, same with the trunk. All nice things, but none necessary I guess.

I just don't want to save the little bit of money if it's worth going 2021 in the end.

FYI, the 2022 and up and just out of my budget unfortunately.

Please help!

The 2021 will have more remaining warranty time (assuming not salvage).

The 2021 had a rated range of 263 miles (NCA battery) or 253 miles (LFP battery) versus 240 miles (NCA battery) for the 2019, assuming 18" wheels (19" wheels will be a little worse in economy and range). Of course, any used car may have had some battery capacity loss (although probably less loss for the LFP battery than the NCA battery).

The 2021 will have more remaining warranty time (assuming not salvage).

The 2021 had a rated range of 263 miles (NCA battery) or 253 miles (LFP battery) versus 240 miles (NCA battery) for the 2019, assuming 18" wheels (19" wheels will be a little worse in economy and range). Of course, any used car may have had some battery capacity loss (although probably less loss for the LFP battery than the NCA battery).
From what I had seen, the LFP battery wasn't an option for 2021 as they announced the change in December of 2021 for any model 3 built after January 11 2022. If that's incorrect, please let me know.

Neither of these are salvaged or have any issues that I have been made aware of. The warranty bit is solid consideration.

From what I had seen, the LFP battery wasn't an option for 2021 as they announced the change in December of 2021 for any model 3 built after January 11 2022. If that's incorrect, please let me know.

Neither of these are salvaged or have any issues that I have been made aware of. The warranty bit is solid consideration.
You are incorrect on the lfp. There were some 253 mi range lfp sr+ released in late 2021, these had less range than the 2022 lfp (rwd) but are highly sought after because they have the performance motor. It's faster than the nca sr+ and much faster than the 2022+ lfp.

You are incorrect on the lfp. There were some 253 mi range lfp sr+ released in late 2021, these had less range than the 2022 lfp (rwd) but are highly sought after because they have the performance motor. It's faster than the nca sr+ and much faster than the 2022+ lfp.
Is there any way to determine this by the VIN? I am buying remotely, so I can't see the battery charging screen to check that way.

Got any links for this claim? Even if they came with the performance motor (which I'm sure a lot of nca sr+ cars had because there's an aftermarket boost kit for them) i don't think Tesla ever advertised or unlocked faster acceleration for the lfp cars.

Not to mention the lfp pack is like 300lbs heavier so I really doubt it's faster no matter what motor it has.

For model year 2021, LFP batteries were not an orderable option, but some customers who ordered SR+ were offered earlier delivery of 2021 SR+ with LFP batteries with 253 miles of rated range.

For model year 2022, the SR+ was changed to be called RWD, and all of them had LFP batteries with 272 miles of rated range.

Reactions: XPsionic
Acceleration is nice, but not my overall concern. I've driven both dual motor, and RWD... Unless I plan on racing this thing from a stop, there's plenty of pull at standard driving speeds if you want to get a move on with the RWD.

The added range would be nice, but is it better than the upgrades from the 2021+?

Acceleration is nice, but not my overall concern. I've driven both dual motor, and RWD... Unless I plan on racing this thing from a stop, there's plenty of pull at standard driving speeds if you want to get a move on with the RWD.

The added range would be nice, but is it better than the upgrades from the 2021+?
If you don't care about AWD and the acceleration, then ask yourself if you care about the heat pump, additional range, dual pane glass, price difference, remaining warranty... etc

Only you could make a decision on all that.
Personally speaking, if I were to drive on longer trips and need to supercharge often and don't like waiting, I'd get an older LR (much faster for hopping from Superchargers to Superchargers from 5-60%). If I do a lot of shorter trips and want the car to last 10+ years I'd pick the LFP SR/RWD. If I want the lightest weight most responsive Model 3 I'd get the SR+ NCA. And if I drive on snow at all I'd want the LR.

I appreciate the feedback.

I live in coastal GA where the lows might get to 32° for a few days during the two colder months, so I don't think the heat pump would really be a major concern of mine here. Same with AWD, as it's not a need around this area.

The warranty is a concern because I don't know how or what to expect. So the 2019 SR+ I am looking at, while it has low miles, is getting close to the 5yr warranty... Then what?

I don't take.many longer trips, but I know the off chance I do, I don't want to wait long at a charging station. That said, is a LR really that much faster?

My choice is either:
- a low mile 2019 SR+ ($35k)
- a low mile 2021 SR+ ($38.5k)
- a 30k mile 2019 LR ($39k)

90-EPA-Highway-Range-plus-Optimal-20-minute-DC-Fast-Charge-Miles.png

I live in coastal GA where the lows might get to 32° for a few days during the two colder months, so I don't think the heat pump would really be a major concern of mine here.

Climates like yours (and mine in southern california ) are actually the BEST environments for a heat pump, as the colder it gets the less efficient those get. A place that has temps that never gets "too" cold (like you describe, or like what I have) are the best enviroments. Places where it gets really really cold for a long period of time are the ones that benefit less from a heat pump.

The warranty is a concern because I don't know how or what to expect. So the 2019 SR+ I am looking at, while it has low miles, is getting close to the 5yr warranty.

4 year warranty, not 5 (4 years 100k miles on a SR+). Depending on when it was sold in 2019 it could already be expired or about to expire in a couple of months, etc.

If you're eligible for the $7,500 tax credit, then a brand new SR+ is $37,630 before sales tax.

Here's a post regarding income levels / taxable income that may be helpful to determine your tax liability:

I can't find a rwd for less than $44k in their inventory right now. I would certainly do it if I could get it for $37600

It's a tax credit, so you'd order a new one (or buy from inventory) for that price, and then you'll get $7,500 back in your taxes next year... as long as you owe at least that much.
Oh, yes. I'm tracking that. For next year's tax return I would receive a tax break. However, I am coming from a Jeep and I'm getting a sizeable amount towards a Tesla from being far ahead of it's worth from a particular location. Tesla can't come close to the offer, so I don't want to lose out on it, so that's why I'm looking used.