Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Woud you trade your used S/X for a new 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to trade my new 3 for a used S or X of comparable value (must be under warranty).

The 3 is Red/PUP/19"/NoAP (can be added) and has the infamous "Alcantara" headliner. Less than 300 miles and and is no longer being driven.

You do the math, include tax considerations. I'm not looking to profit. I'm also uncertain what DMV registration fees might apply; if no money changes hands is it considered a sale?

Send me a private message if interested.

I'm not sure what else to add. We put 220 miles on it (half of it the drive from the delivery center) and it's been sitting in my garage for the last 2 weeks.

So you simply hate the car THAT much? I mean, I've had new stuff before that I hated, until I used it a little while, and eventually found that I loved it. Do you not think it's worth it to drive it for 6 or 800 miles to get a better feel for the car? 220 miles really isn't a lot. Or do you think you will recoup more of your money by simply not driving it any more?

I'm assuming you're a previous owner since you got your car so soon. Apparently, it's just the M3, not Tesla that you have a problem with?

Reactions: Bebop
I'm not sure what else to add. We put 220 miles on it (half of it the drive from the delivery center) and it's been sitting in my garage for the last 2 weeks.

I think he means why specifically. Go into more detail as to why you are wanting to get rid of it.

I do have to agree it seems a bit odd. I can understand if it had 2-5k miles on it. but less than 300 and trying to sell. I've never heard of anyone getting rid of their brand new car so soon and so quick AND one that I'm sure you have been waiting for, for a very long time now (maybe like 12-18 months of waiting time?).

Reactions: Buddyroe
I think he means why specifically. Go into more detail as to why you are wanting to get rid of it. I do have to agree it seems a bit odd.

So you simply hate the car THAT much? I mean, I've had new stuff before that I hated, until I used it a little while, and eventually found that I loved it. Do you not think it's worth it to drive it for 6 or 800 miles to get a better feel for the car? 220 miles really isn't a lot. Or do you think you will recoup more of your money by simply not driving it any more?

I don't hate the 3... I actually like the 3 a lot, more specifically how it handles, the acceleration and general agility... however I got it for my wife (as a surprise) thinking she would like it... and due to the range issues she's experienced with our S/40. However, after a short time with the 3 - she emphatically prefers the S.

So rather than be an opportunist and put it on eBay - I thought I would first see if there might be some mutual benefit in a trade between us TMC members. If not - it will go on eBay and I'll pay to unlock her 40 to a 60.

It's no longer being driven because I didn't think we should put more wear/miles on it if we're not going to keep it. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
In case you missed it, 40->60 unlock is now significantly cheaper that the original $10K (I cannot find the thread talking about it but IIRC it's $2K, maybe even $1K, supercharging access still costs extra - you can always call Tesla to ask).

Yes, I am aware. $2500 to unlock, $2500 to supercharge. I've yet to hear back and confirm, but I believe CHAdeMO is now just the cost of the adapter (it was $1900 to enable "Fast DC Charging"). I applaud Tesla for making the unlock cost reasonable... even more for even taking it into consideration with all the other stuff they have going on.

That said, I've been very reluctant to upgrade it to a 60... a 40 has a story, maybe the rarest of the "Models" sold?

That said, I've been very reluctant to upgrade it to a 60... a 40 has a story, maybe the rarest of the "Models" sold?
While maybe true for collector cars, with Tesla making production and/or options changes every 2 weeks, and with previously unbundled options offering thousands of combinations, most Tesla's are "unicorns", and if they are all "special" then there is no price premium.

Out of curiosity, what are you planning to do with the 40 if you trade the Model 3 for a Model S?

Just the upgraded options I chose for the 70D vs the 40. I went for Air, and found I prefer the 40's coil suspension, prefer the push of RWD vs the pull of AWD (not needed in my area), prefer the basic seats over the over-bolstered nex gen. Lastly...I'm not fond of Alcantara.

However, AP1 is nice.
I can relate to that. I went with coils for the same reason. Tesla'a air suspension was actually really reasonably priced. I just didn't want it. Also, I had a rwd 85 loaner once and it was a blast to turn off the traction control and play a little :) AP is the best though.

I can relate to that. I went with coils for the same reason. Tesla'a air suspension was actually really reasonably priced. I just didn't want it. Also, I had a rwd 85 loaner once and it was a blast to turn off the traction control and play a little :) AP is the best though.
You should try the + suspension. We have both, +Air and coil, +air is stiffer and more to my liking. You can get in on P85+ or on P85D made pre-May'15.