Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would fully self driving upgrade help EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has already been answered, but does anyone have a sense on whether the $3k FSD upgrade that unlocks the full hardware suite would help enhanced autopilot perform better?

Meaning would you get better autosteer, auto braking, summon, etc. due to using more cameras, or is the upgrade only for fully self driving (whenever that actually happens)?

Meaning would you get better autosteer, auto braking, summon, etc. due to using more cameras, or is the upgrade only for fully self driving (whenever that actually happens)?

I cant see how anyone will know this until we actually start seeing this out AND something starts happening with the FSDC. and even then, I suspect, unless Tesla says something, (unless one of the Tesla engineers happens to poke his head on the board and answers...) we won't really know even then unless we have some very careful comparison of EAP with FSDC and EAP without FSDC. This is partially what I was grumbling about in my other post: I wish Tesla had not said how many cameras were in use... If I purchase EAP, I would hope that EAP was implemented in the best way possible given the hardware available, even if I didn't purchase FSDC, but by throwing out the number of cameras enabled in each mode, it leaves us wondering if that is actually the case! (even though, it may well be!).

Apologies if this has already been answered, but does anyone have a sense on whether the $3k FSD upgrade that unlocks the full hardware suite would help enhanced autopilot perform better?

All cars will have all the cameras and necessary hardware... if EAP only processes and uses data from four cameras then it uses data from four cameras.

For the EAP features alone, they will not be "better" if using all the cameras since it's still going to only use the cameras it needs and the four cameras were deemed more than sufficient.

Keep in mind that it's likely all the cameras will be used all the time no matter what you purchased, in order to map and collect data. see "shadow mode"

Reactions: MorrisonHiker