Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would greatly appreciate electric guidance!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're kind of starting off with a bad assumption, so you're asking the wrong question:
Can I add a 14-50? No.
For small sized electrical service, don't start off with the assumption of what you want to install. You need to start off with the load calculation to find out what sized circuit can I add? Then when you find out what possibilities are available, you can plan how to do that.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hello fellow M3 owners!!

I'm wondering if there are more creative solutions for accommodating a 14-50 NEMA charger? A couple of electricians took one look and immediately opted for upgrading my panel for $4-$6K, which is not what I want to spend. I understand that there is no room for additional breakers, but was wondering if our brilliant community had any suggestions for cheaper alternatives? Thanks in advance, have a great day y'all! I have a 100 amp panel.

How many amps are you getting from PG&E at the main breaker?

I had a similar problem where my panel could not accommodate load for a new 50a circuit. My electrician was able to tap directly into the main panel next to the meter and add a sub panel in garage with new 50A breaker for the NEMA 14-50.

Total cost was $400 including parts. PM me if interested and if be happy to pass along his info. This guy works for an electric company in the east bay and this job was on the side. Quote was $500 more for going through the company and even note for permits

Reactions: eprosenx
Hello fellow M3 owners!!

I'm wondering if there are more creative solutions for accommodating a 14-50 NEMA charger? A couple of electricians took one look and immediately opted for upgrading my panel for $4-$6K, which is not what I want to spend. I understand that there is no room for additional breakers, but was wondering if our brilliant community had any suggestions for cheaper alternatives? Thanks in advance, have a great day y'all! I have a 100 amp panel.

Can you please post more pictures of the panel in the house just so we get an idea of what is going on here? I am assuming this meter and main breaker are in the garage itself?

I really would love pictures of all the stickers on the panels so we can see if we can read or download specs on them, but it looks like they are too damaged. I am assuming that main breaker is labeled 100a?

As others have asked, where is the power for the lights in the garage coming from? A circuit is being backfed from the panel in the house?

It looks like you have one conduit into the meter from the street (utility) and one going out over to the house. Both underground. Is there a third underground conduit bringing power back from the house for lights in the garage?

The cheapest option might be if we could find a way to tap a 240v circuit off that main disconnect panel you already have in the garage (separate from the feed to the house so it did not count against that load). We need to know more about that panel though first to see what kind of breakers it is allowed to use, etc..., what the max rating is on it, etc...

As @SoundDaTrumpet points out, your conduit to the utility looks plenty large for a 200a service. So one very interesting option here would be to replace your meter main panel with a new 200a one that had a handful of breaker position spots available in it. Put a 100a (or whatever it is now) breaker in to feed the house, and then whatever you darned well please for EV charging since you would have tons of remaining capacity (say a 60a circuit). I can't imagine that would be 4-6k just to replace a panel and to re-use all other existing wiring. Presumably the vehicle charger would go right next to the panel...

Also, let's assume for a second that your house is currently fed from a 100a breaker in that meter main. Maybe we find the specs on that meter main and it turns out it can support a 125a breaker. Well perhaps you then replace the 100a breaker with a 125a breaker, then feed from that into a subpanel inside the garage (I think this is what @SoundDaTrumpet was suggesting). In the subpanel you have a 100a breaker to the house. Then you could have a second breaker in that subpanel to feed an EVSE. You would have *at least* 25a to work with at 240v, if not more depending on load calculations for the house itself. Note that if you get a Wall Connector it actually has a current limiting setting for 25a I think (or as others mentioned you could just do a 6-20 receptacle or something).

I think your situation leaves room for creativity to get a reasonable charging solution for not that much money.

Please report back what you end up with!

Reporting back:

- Parts and Labor: $600
- Installing NEMA 14-50 (yay!!) by maxing out main panel from 100a to 125a and putting subpanel directly behind main breaker for 50a.
- No panel upgrade, so that saves some serious moolah and also no need to pull permits (double yay!!)

Couldn't find an electrician to do cheaper as they wanted to severely upcharge for labor and panel upgrade.

I'm saving approximately $50 a month due to being able to fully take advantage of 12cent/kwh rate so my breakeven will be one year so I'm happy.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions. Thanks again for all the brilliant feedback/ideas. i'm proud to be part of this high caliber community.

Reporting back:

- Parts and Labor: $600
- Installing NEMA 14-50 (yay!!) by maxing out main panel from 100a to 125a and putting subpanel directly behind main breaker for 50a.
- No panel upgrade, so that saves some serious moolah and also no need to pull permits (double yay!!)

Couldn't find an electrician to do cheaper as they wanted to severely upcharge for labor and panel upgrade.

I'm saving approximately $50 a month due to being able to fully take advantage of 12cent/kwh rate so my breakeven will be one year so I'm happy.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions. Thanks again for all the brilliant feedback/ideas. i'm proud to be part of this high caliber community.

Nice!

So I am not 100% understanding the new layout. Is the work complete? Can you post pictures of what they did (or proposed)? ;-) Also, what size is (or was) your main breaker off the meter? (not sure that ever got posted in this thread?)