Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would like some education on PPF please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, after a recent roadtrip and getting a couple stone chips around the hood I decided that I need to get full front PPF. Ive been googling and reading around, trying to educate myself on what is possible with PPF.

I found a shop around here (on the forum, Yelp reviews are 5 stars), stopped by and asked them about their work. They use XPEL and do bumper in 2 pieces (second piece being the bottom lip under intake). Is this normal for an XPEL installation?

Also they said that its impossible to fold over the line going from headlight to frunk (not sure the name) without taking out headlight, and they dont take out headlights (they do take out side cameras and fold over there). Is this expected? That not all edges are folded over? if so, which ones are not normally folded over?

They also said that pointy corners dont have PPF go to the very edge, for example the metal point near the headlight, and the corners of the frunk that are by the windshield.

Are all of these things common and reasonable? Or should I be looking for another shop to do my PPF?

Please feel free to educate me on PPF, Ive owned many cars, but am completely new to PPF.

Thank you.

Some of the things u list are because they use a computer to cut the pieces versus hand cutting etc ...i Have seen some shops to complete folds but that requires more work etc and one thing to consider is if not done properly (the fold) it will lift and come off(ie under the hood where it’s not exactly flat ) ...my shop didn’t fold and that’s ok with me for some folks they like the esthetics of not seeing the edge where it ends ..me personally I just want protection

Some of the things u list are because they use a computer to cut the pieces versus hand cutting etc ...i Have seen some shops to complete folds but that requires more work etc and one thing to consider is if not done properly (the fold) it will lift and come off(ie under the hood where it’s not exactly flat ) ...my shop didn’t fold and that’s ok with me for some folks they like the esthetics of not seeing the edge where it ends ..me personally I just want protection
What P85 said. We've had 2 cars with ppf installed and none folded over the seams and not had any issues with them over 4+ years now. I'm having our frontal surfaces covered (18-20" on the hood) today.