Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy another Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you touched on a good point on the internet connection (or a lack of) and what the local concessionaires has "decided" for their customers.

I've a XC90, notwithstanding the technologies and the advertised "connectivity" of the car, I was amazed to find out the HK ver. didn't even bother to spec the car with a built-in sim-card slot (in the trunk) in order to enable internet access or other remote features, nor this is available as an option here. Internet access is provided by teething your mobile phone to the car, though not sure if the later batches have come with the sim-card slot now.

This is very typical and reflects how traditional ICE OEMs / concessionaires approach EV and car connectivity - fantastic engineering, but useless when it comes to digital integration. To be fair to the XC90, although I don't have CarPlay, but the OS and voice command functionalities are by far one of the best I've experienced, though it could use a larger CC screen.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that your XC90 even came with the option to tether to your mobile phone connection. Good on whoever made that call.

It's a barrier to entry that that local concessionaires don't want deal with in terms of sales support.
If there's no sim slot/ radio antenna, the relevant onboard software won't ship with the car and it's one less thing to fuss/ explain/ sell to the client. It's time wasted from the point of view of the concessionary and believe it won't help nor impact their sales. Gross lack of foresight.

But we've seen this kind of attitude before. It's reminiscent of Nokia and RIM missing the boat on what a difference in value software can make to your product and we all know what happened to them.

I actually bought another Tesla, replacing my Nissan Serena 8 seats with a MX 6 seats.

Agreed on the quality are not as good as the Germany brands, but before my purchase I did enough research online so I understand what kind of issue I may went into so it is no surprises for me.

Also I went for multiple show room visits, 3 test drives before I place my MS order 15 months ago, I understands I am willing to trade off certain comfort, quality in return of the performance, convenience (I do have home charging), Tech (I love the TACC as I drive 60km round trip to work), plus the saving of gas and time to gas station, maintenance cost, annual registration etc.

And for the same price range, I couldn't find a car that's close to Tesla in terms of performance / cost to run, this is an easy decision for me to make in HK thanks to the tax exemption, Tesla appeared to be cheap compared to the ICE cars.

If one day the tax for EV become the same as the ICE, first I hope I can still afford one, then I believes my next car will still be an EV but may not be a Tesla (if there are more choices at the same price range in the future), but right now Tesla is the only option.

I agree with you that after driving the Tesla, I am a convert. Now when I go back to my ICE car, it is like stepping back into time. My next car will definitely be an electric car. I would hope that it would be another Tesla, but.....

Right now Tesla is the electric car, but they seriously need to rethink their service here or they will lose customers when the other manufacturers up their ante. The early adopters are very forgiving, but there is a limit to how much they are willing to take with regards to build, service and reliability issues.

I have gotten my car only for 2 weeks and I only know the new service centre. It looks clean and modern, but reception and waiting room is not on par with Zung Fu(Mercedes). Service definitely not on par with the personalised service I am used to at Mercedes.

Don't get me wrong. I am willing to forgo all these if they provide a good service and follow-up for problems. But my experience even in these two short weeks have been disappointing. Even so, I still love the car. I just wish service standards were up to par.

Just an update with my latest service experience. I brought the car back for work on the TACC and Autosteer which had disappeared even after re-calibration of the radar. This time round I got a different Service Advisor. It was a sea change from the previous advisor. She was knowledgeable and apologetic for Tesla not solving the problem at the previous service. After a thorough checking of the hardware, they did not think a new camera or radar was necessary and recalibrate the radar. She was on hand to handover the car back to me after service and explained what had been done. Two weeks hence and everything is working well. This service experience has ameliorated somewhat my initial disappointments.

I have to say that if they keep this service standard up, and with my continuing love affair with my Model S, it is getting more and more likely that my next EV will still be a Tesla.

Hi everyone,

I raise this question to get a gauge with the level of customer satisfaction. Customer satisfaction levels are typically high in North America, but I have a suspicion it may be much lower in Hong Kong due to service issues. Service issues matter more for a Tesla compared to other cars, due to the build quality.

So let me start with my answer: NO.

Would I buy another electric car? YES, ABSOLUTELY. But not a Tesla. If there was a German vehicle with comparable range and performance, I would go German in a heartbeat.

Ultimately it comes down to poor build quality, and lack of servicing infrastructure in Hong Kong. If the latter was excellent, it may make me reconsider the verdict.

I have owned my S70D for just over a year and I will list all of the problems I have had:

1) Countless headliner noise issues. (had to take it in 3-4 times and now I have rediscovered new noises over the weekend). The car should be silent - which makes interior noises all the more annoying.

2) Car Panel fit is poor with big gaps. Take a close look at your Tesla and look at the alignment of the doors (in my case the front door sill looks lower than the rear door). Compare the fit and finish to an equivalent Mercedes or BMW and you can tell there is a difference. There is also a large gap between the bonnet and the rest of the body. My car is not the only one - I have inspected many other Teslas.

3) Interior fit is poor. My glove box squeeks when I rest my leg against it, the healiner does not look solid (moves around too much when I touch it). Rear seats are too firm - although that is not really a build quality issue.

4) Had issues with the charging port not opening (was a problem in the beginning although seems to have corrected itself).

5) Had to have the rear door handle replaced as the motor was faulty and needed to be replaced.

6) Wiper blades needed replacing due to excessive noise.

7) Electric window on driver side makes noise after it rains. Service guys told me that is normal - but then why only the driver's one?

8) Mobile app doesn't always find my car (this is relatively minor compared to other issues).

9) Brakes make noise.

10) Other small trivial things (like having to replace interior light bulbs etc).

For a car that is just over 1 year old - this is intolerable especially for a car that costs close to US$100,000.

---

Finally, it comes to service. I go through hell every time. Can take up to a week between when the car is taken and when they even start looking at it - due to issues with capacity. The new service center should be opening soon which would help the issue. However, they are getting more stingy on loaner cars. I have had to take my car in 4-5 times and need to do it again. That is 1 time every 2 months in my case. This is clearly unacceptable.

This is an immense shame. If the car was built properly, I would love it - driving the car would be quite enjoyable due to the powertrain and general drive. The electric drivetrain is by far the best thing about the car and soon others who know how to build cars properly will offer the same thing - the Tesla supercharger network is becoming less of a selling point given the difficulty in finding one that is not occupied.

I have had people ask me whether they should buy a Model X. Judging from the issues I have had with the Model S (which in comparison is a much simpler vehicle) - I simply cannot recommend another Tesla, especially the X due the complexity of the doors etc - there have already been well documented issues experienced in North America regarding its build quality. Tesla should get its priorities straight - the X would sell purely because of its electric drive train, performance and space efficiency. Nobody buys one for the doors or the self opening handles etc - all that does is cause problems and turn people off.

Interested in your thoughts.

Cheers.
I am getting really frustrated with Tesla. They have been giving me mixed messages as to loaner cars. I was very clearly told that the only time they gave loaner cars was if there was a battery issue because that would take a few days. Then I do have a battery issue and I am required to take the car to the service centre that is far away because that is the only place where they can check the battery. I take the car and there, and ask for the loaner. Without hesitation, despite it being the first appointment of the day, the person (K***h - name withheld for privacy) tells me "no loaner cars at the moment". So I say I will wait. He then says, there is no loaner car for a week. I reply that his answers seem like he wants to avoid giving me a loaner car and insist he check. He checks, returns and tells me that they DO give loaner cars for battery issues but it will take a few weeks and they will get back to me. So I call after a week or so for an update and am told they will call back. No call. So I call again, nearly 3 weeks after first taking my car in, and this time I am told that "loaner cars are given only if your car has to be in service for more than a month!!". A completely different message. And I spoke to the same person (K***y - not stating his name for privacy reasons)!!!! I then ask to speak to a manager as I feel I am getting pushed around and want to understand what exactly the policy is in Hong Kong for loaner cars. I am told I cannot!! Despite the acknowledgement that I have been given the impression that I will get the loaner car! So again I am told that the service centre will be asked to call me back.

What I also do not understand (apart from all the changing answers and stalling) is that if there are loaner cars, why not be allowed to schedule such that you can use the loaner car when your car is being looked at.

Would be helpful knowing if others have the same frustrations I did. Was thinking of upgrading/changing my Tesla and am now pissed off enough to not bother.