Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

would you considering sacrificing range to get extended tire life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you noticed a difference in range? By chance can you calculate how much?

I put new wheels on at the same time, so it’s hard to say exactly how the tires effected range. However, my first 6,000 miles on the OEM Uberturbines and Pirellis I averaged 310 Wh/mi, and my last 10,000 miles on the current setup I am averaging 318 Wh/mi. So, not a huge penalty for wider, grippier tires. The wheels are lighter than OEM, but not as aerodynamic, so maybe a wash there.

Around town I can get pretty good efficiency out of this setup, but highway cruising at 80 mph is where they use up more watts than the factory setup.

I plan on lowering the car an inch on coilovers, still trying to decide which ones, and hope to gain a little more efficiency along with better handling!

Upvote 0
Considering how fast the original tires wear, would you considering sacrificing range to get extended tire life?
I have to agree with many of the posts above. I have never ever had tires meet expected wear life. With that being said I drive my cars hard. I go through a set of tires on my 996TT every 2 years....I MAY get 3-4k miles on them but they are purely track/summer use 😂 and they can’t be rotated. Our Macan got 35k on them before needing replacement and new tires were sorely needed....again they can’t be rotated.

Bottom line for me is performance depending on conditions. I am also the guy that keeps a separate set of wheels/tires for winter setup (except for my track car).

Upvote 0
I have to agree with many of the posts above. I have never ever had tires meet expected wear life. With that being said I drive my cars hard. I go through a set of tires on my 996TT every 2 years....I MAY get 3-4k miles on them but they are purely track/summer use 😂 and they can’t be rotated. Our Macan got 35k on them before needing replacement and new tires were sorely needed....again they can’t be rotated.

Bottom line for me is performance depending on conditions. I am also the guy that keeps a separate set of wheels/tires for winter setup (except for my track car).
Interesting, I used to have a 996 turbo too. Think I got about 10k miles out of a set of PS2s iirc (was a few years ago now). Made a nice commuting car, apart from when stuck in traffic, that clutch was heavy:p.

Upvote 0
Interesting, I used to have a 996 turbo too. Think I got about 10k miles out of a set of PS2s iirc (was a few years ago now). Made a nice commuting car, apart from when stuck in traffic, that clutch was heavy:p.
Love the car! Mine is not stock though as it’s putting out 500 hp now and I track it regularly.....still gotta love ICE engines for some fun stuff!

Attachments

• 78A86937-0AA3-4577-BC66-17E95C5FECAA.jpeg
    78A86937-0AA3-4577-BC66-17E95C5FECAA.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: tm1v2 and 804son
Upvote 0
I miss mine, I went to an M3 and it was so slow in comparison. The Model 3 isn't too bad, but not sporty enough for liking.
I will be honest.....I spent tons of funds, read over $15k initially, to get where I was happy with my 996TT more funds after “chasing a goal”. It is sexy, cool, fun, etc.....

However, with our brand new M3LR, there is IMMEDIATE acceleration and it is fun!

Comparing the two is confusing.... super quiet and slammed into the seat for the new “daily driver“. The big difference is when the 996TT kicks in after some turbo lag ( minor now but still evident in comparison ) both cars are in different worlds!

The feeling and sounds make the 996TT my fun car. Handling isn’t comparable over the past couple of years trying EVs....M3LR stock isn’t even close.

Two VERY different vehicles for sure. I am keeping both!

Upvote 0
I miss mine, I went to an M3 and it was so slow in comparison. The Model 3 isn't too bad, but not sporty enough for liking.
Have you driven the RWD, non air Taycan? If so, how do you like the handling and ride?

I am going to test drive the BMW I4 40 sometime soon, and the RWD Taycan. (I have test driven the Taycan Turbo with air suspension)

Particularly interested in the ride and handling balance in cars. (My S is too soft, 3 is too harsh)

Upvote 0
@Theone8181 Upgrade the suspension! The handling is transformed and really comes alive with a good suspension. The stock suspension is just...junk. :( It's fine for casual daily driving, but terrible for driving truly hard and fast, and the ride quality, while completely tolerable, isn't anything special either (i.e. no big payoff for the poor handling). (Important: I'm writing this based on October 2021 Fremont built cars. I understand Tesla has changed the Model 3 suspension over the years, generally softening it, apparently older Model 3 handled somewhat better.)

I'm not comparing our modded M3P with sports cars like a 911, the Model 3 isn't little sports car, but our M3P handles better overall now than anything I've driven with 4 doors and a usable back seat. This is with Redwood Motorsports "Performance Sport" Öhlins DFV coilovers and MPP Front Lower Control Arm Bearings.

Our M3P is for street use only, my wife and I share it as a family car, so that's enough upgrades for me (along with smaller diameter forged wheels and better tires). For regular track day use (I used to do track days many years ago) I'd certainly go deeper into bushing and mount upgrades, there is more at-the-limit sharpness to be gained there, not to mention camber adjustability. No need for that for our street driving though. I get to push its limits safely on occasion but not like on a racetrack. The balance, control, reactions, and overall feel are absolutely excellent at the limit, it's not setup racecar stiff, but for a sporty street sedan that my wife happily drives it's fantastic.

More often we're doing long drives on very twisty rural roads, where my wife drives quickly and I drive even faster, but not at the car's limits of course, not something I would do when there's no room for error. The car handles such roads amazing now, the quick steering + supreme damping control + track mode adjustments (extra strong regen, nannies dialed back, and 50/50 handling bias to mostly avoid power oversteer) + great weight distribution + that instant torque really come together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Theone8181 Upgrade the suspension! The handling is transformed and really comes alive with a good suspension. The stock suspension is just...junk. :( It's fine for casual daily driving, but terrible for driving truly hard and fast, and the ride quality, while completely tolerable, isn't anything special either (i.e. no big payoff for the poor handling). (Important: I'm writing this based on October 2021 Fremont built cars. I understand Tesla has changed the Model 3 suspension over the years, generally softening it, apparently older Model 3 handled somewhat better.)

I'm not comparing our modded M3P with sports cars like a 911, the Model 3 isn't little sports car, but our M3P handles better overall now than anything I've driven with 4 doors and a usable back seat. This is with Redwood Motorsports "Performance Sport" Öhlins DFV coilovers and MPP Front Lower Control Arm Bearings.

Our M3P is for street use only, my wife and I share it as a family car, so that's enough upgrades for me (along with smaller diameter forged wheels and better tires). For regular track day use (I used to do track days many years ago) I'd certainly go deeper into bushing and mount upgrades, there is more at-the-limit sharpness to be gained there, not to mention camber adjustability. No need for that for our street driving though. I get to push its limits safely on occasion but not like on a racetrack. The balance, control, reactions, and overall feel are absolutely excellent at the limit, it's not setup racecar stiff, but for a sporty street sedan that my wife happily drives it's fantastic.

More often we're doing long drives on very twisty rural roads, where my wife drives quickly and I drive even faster, but not at the car's limits of course, not something I would do when there's no room for error. The car handles such roads amazing now, the quick steering + supreme damping control + track mode adjustments (extra strong regen, nannies dialed back, and 50/50 handling bias to mostly avoid power oversteer) + great weight distribution + that instant torque really come together.
You are 110% correct A Porsche and a Tesla are in two VERY different categories. What I will say is that I can’t wait to drive my wife’s Tesla when we get it back!

I echo your sentiments! The M3...probably any version....is super fun to drive!

Reactions: rpiotro and tm1v2
Upvote 0
I refuse to drive the taycan, purely because the only logical one would be the turbo (utterly stupid name for an ev), and have you seen the price of those compared to a model 3 performance 😂. One think to note though, mines been in and I've had a 6 month older performance for a courtesy car. Mine is a 69, this car was early 2019. The only differences were that it had the 18 inch ps4s, and mines got 20s but I swear it had more body roll. I think I'm going mad. With handling, I don't see why it can't handle as well as an M3/4 but I know BMW and the likes of porsche have got just a few more years under their belts in that respect😛.

Upvote 0
I refuse to drive the taycan, purely because the only logical one would be the turbo (utterly stupid name for an ev), and have you seen the price of those compared to a model 3 performance 😂. One think to note though, mines been in and I've had a 6 month older performance for a courtesy car. Mine is a 69, this car was early 2019. The only differences were that it had the 18 inch ps4s, and mines got 20s but I swear it had more body roll. I think I'm going mad. With handling, I don't see why it can't handle as well as an M3/4 but I know BMW and the likes of porsche have got just a few more years under their belts in that respect😛.
Wow... I don’t even know how to respond.

Upvote 0
@Theone8181 With the upgrades the M3P out-handles an E90 BMW M3, and rides better too per my coworker who has one and just rode in my M3P. (Though me having fresh dampers vs his well-worn ones isn't a fully fair comparison of course.) I haven't driven any newer BMW M3. Regular F30 3-series was atrociously numb and boring (compared to E90 and E46).

BMW and Porsche definitely have a lot more experience making sporty suspensions. BMW also differentiates the M3 much further from a regular 3-series, than Tesla does with the Model 3 Performance vs a regular dual motor Model 3. I wish Tesla offered a real sports suspension, sport seats, etc in the M3P but they don't, the car is basically just a regular Long Range with a few tweaks - Track Mode being the most critical. The price of an M3P is also much closer to an M3LR, than a BMW M3 is to a BMW 335i or whatever the regular ones are now.

So we have to go aftermarket to bring out the best in this car's handling.

When I sat inside a Taycan Turbo it felt like a big (very big!) sports car, for good and bad. Felt like a true Porsche to me, but not very practical as a sedan, the back seat is not usable by adults in my family (my head was bent over trying to sit in it). It's basically a 4 door coupe I guess. Very cool car but not a family sedan to me.

The Porsche dealer just laughed when I asked if I could test it. *If* the back seat of the Cross Turismo wagons are better, and the Taycan drives as awesome as it seems, I could possibly have decided to order a Cross Turismo 4S with minimal options. Which would still exceed $100k though for the basic must-have options/features required by my wife or I. But no way am I spending that kind of money for a car I can't even test. Heck I couldn't even find a Cross Turismo to sit in.

Also the Taycan looked obnoxiously low. Again good as a sports car, bad as a practical family car. We drive over dirt, gravel, huge potholes and dips, etc. Even the M3P stock height is questionably low at times. Porsche doesn't list the ground clearance and I didn't bring a measuring tape. (We were there to test the Macan, which turned out to be completely mediocre, except for very good suspension tuning.)

Upvote 0