Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you group share your Tesla?

Would you be willing to get with some family members and friends to be able to share the use of a ca

• Parents

• Kids

• Friends

• Workmates

• Strangers

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you be willing to share between family members and friends to be able to share the use of a car?

I know there has been lots of talk about strangers using your car, but how about friends and family? I think that could by itself greatly reduce the cost of ownership and minimize the number of cars needed.

My initial thought was "hell no" but someone else had mentioned driving it for a couple of years, then buying a new model and putting the old one in the fleet, making money for you.

That is actually a seriously tempting idea. Kind of like getting a new cell phone every couple of years, but being able to have your old ones pay dividends as long as they still work. :)

Very few people have a mutual appreciation for a vehicle they purchased. Some think of it as a pile of metal and plastic, while others see it as a work of art and everything in between.

Personally, I paid for my dream car for me. Not for someone else to rub a curb, get a dent or a ding, or just plain get out leaving their trash behind for the next sucker.

Reactions: championi
"Getting your car back" is the wrong way to look at this. Why are you buying a car in the first place? If you hire a car you don't worry about who hired it beforehand.

Once autonomous cars become a reality, "ownership" goes the same way as the ICE.

Just as some people struggle to give up the sensations of internal combustion, some will struggle to give up the concept of vehicle possession:

"You may have my driving seat, when you prise it from my cold, clenched buttocks!"

From Elon at the Gigafactory opening: ".. the ability to add your car to a shared fleet whenever you want, so whenever you're not using your car, you can tap the Tesla app on your phone, and add it or subtract it from the shared fleet. And you'll be able to define who can use it, like only five star users or anyone, or only family or whatever, and whenever you want it back, tap it and it will return to you."

Section in bold - absolutely changes everything. "Sure, I can drop you to the airport next Friday... while I'm at work"

Reactions: Model S M.D.