Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you loan out your Tesla to make money?

Would you loan out your Tesla to make money?

• Yes

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • No

Votes: 72 55.0%
  • Sometimes, depends

Votes: 40 30.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People keep asking if I'd lend them my car or let them drive my MX. I have the same answer every time.. No one drives my MX until after my Father tries it first. I've told him that he could take it for a spin twice, but renegged every time. When someone is persistant about me letting them try to drive my car, I tell them I require a non-refundable $50,000 deposit :p. If they really want to try it out, call Tesla and go for a test drive. Heck, that's what i did nearly 4 years ago! And here i am in my 20 days new Model X.

I would posit that most current owners and reservation holders aren't the target demographic for renting their vehicles. I've already had this convo with friends and family who seem aghast at the idea of renting out their Teslas per the master plan. But duh, those folks have already determined that they can afford a Tesla! Conversely, what this service could do is open up a much larger market for potential owners. I would guess that a person who previously couldn't fathom the ability of owning a Tesla would be very interested in doing so if it could effectively pay for itself by giving a few rides a day when it wasn't being used.

So the question really is, "If you could only afford a Tesla if you let it be in the rental pool for a handful of rides a day while you weren't using it, would you rather do that, or have no Tesla at all?"

Would I rent my car out? No, not at this stage. The concept of renting out a car to people is a difficult concept for Americans to digest, I think. We were raised in a culture that is very car centric, and there is a high level of ownership pride that gets in the way of that.

Now, in the near/far future I see this proposal being more acceptable once autonomous vehicles become the norm. People will purchase a vehicle with the intent of renting it out when not in use. It is acceptable that there will be wear and tear done to it It's very much like renting out a room or a house you own. You own it, lock stock and barrel, but you desire to make money with it more than keeping its usage strictly personal.