Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you Purchase a model Y Again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely agree, the suspension has been my biggest complaint with the Y. A traditional suspension will never match the air suspension of the S or X but clearly it could be improved. I haven’t ridden in a M3 Highland but I’ve seen plenty of comments about the improved suspension and Sandy Munro was practically gushing about it. I’ve been tempted to wait for the MY Juniper that’s supposed to come out next year, since It will likely share the new suspension, however I suspect they will be removing the stalks as well and that’s a non-starter for several reasons. Even the current MY version is a significant improvement over the original.

(Start at 45 sec)

I'm another one that while generally happy with the vehicle, the suspension is just a joke. MUCH cheaper vehicles have better rides. I am waiting to see what Juniper has to offer, hannshow is currently doing some aftermarket stalks, so if that's okay, I'll think about it.

Will not stop be cross checking the competition however. Many new actually competitive vehicles being released now.

We are on our SECOND Model Y. Bought a 2020 LR DM on July 25th, 2020, and traded in on a 2022 MYP on Aug 25th, 2022. But we are now thinking of moving on. We are 72 and looking to splurge since we have opted to stay close to home and our grandkids, so we are looking at trading UP to a Model S LR later this fall when we must take our first RMD.

We did replace the 21" tires/wheels with some 18" from TSporrtLine and that changed the entire character of the car immensely, for the BETTER. The 21s serves no useful purpose on the street aside from looks, but I prefer more tire and less wheel so to my eye our Y looks better.
howQI9U.jpg

Last edited:
We are 72 and looking to splurge since we have opted to stay close to home and our grandkids, so we are looking at trading UP to a Model S LR later this fall when we must take our first RMD.
Have you tried getting in and out of the S repeatedly? The model Y is six inches higher than the S, which is something that I can appreciate.

That gets down to the real issue. Are there worthy competitors to the Model Y? I see a lot of mostly-acceptable vehicles, but I still come back to the Supercharger access issue. Most of the routes I want to travel on out of Arizona have a lot of V2 chargers, and those are definitely Tesla-only. And then we come to the 'Is the car better, or at least mostly equal' questions.
By the end of this year, most EVs will be able to use Tesla SCs.

Have you tried getting in and out of the S repeatedly? The model Y is six inches higher than the S, which is something that I can appreciate.
REPEATEDLY, no, but two of my friends own S's and I have driven them often (one is a PLAID with a YOKE). So I appreciate what you are asking. Yes the Y is EASIER but the extra 120+ miles of range, suspension, ventilated seats, etc make road-tripping so much nicer. But between now and decision time if Elon releases the new Y with these added features and increased range then the answer will be easier.