Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrap Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
I see lots of posts of people wrapping their cars, parts and the entire body. Has anyone had experience in removing these wraps after a long period of time. Before the model X I had an Acura MDX. Had the front and hood done with 3M clear vinyl. After it was on for 3 years we had to remove it to repair damage on the front. It ruined the paint on the hood, likely from sun damage. The car is garaged more than 50% of the time we had it and I care for my cars better than average. There was a milky look to the paint that they could not remove. It appeared to change something about the clearcoat on the car. Had to have the hood repainted along with the front bumper which was due to damage. I'm now afraid to do the X based on my past experience. Like to hear from someone that has wrap on for 3+ years and how it was removed and the results.

Thanks

I avoid wraps because, at least here in Arizona when the sun is baking your car when it is parked outside, I have seen too many of these problems - there is an inevitable chemical reaction between the adhesive in the wrap and the paint and the result as you have seen is not pretty

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
Seems crazy to me the amount of money people spend on clear wraps, I get it a little bit for color changes. Cars get nicked, life goes on. It seems a high percentage of people that get wraps are the same people that always need the latest and greatest car anyways.

• Funny
Reactions: MJGolf
Seems crazy to me the amount of money people spend on clear wraps, I get it a little bit for color changes. Cars get nicked, life goes on. It seems a high percentage of people that get wraps are the same people that always need the latest and greatest car anyways.

Because i dont want swirl marks on my black paint, other than that i dont care about paint chips. if i sell my car in 10 years, nobody is going to pay me extra for having flawless paint.