TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wrap or Paint?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Peter Chastain, Jul 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Peter Chastain

Peter Chastain My M3/LR is headed to the delivery center!

I need to decide whether to order basic black or multi-coat paint, and whether to wrap with vinyl. I assume there is no reason to upgrade the paint if I'm covering it, unless maybe so that I can have a super paint job if I ever take the wrap off.

Is vinyl wrap worth it? Will it look good for longer than paint will? Does it require less care? I probably won't be able to garage my M3.

Are there other kinds of wrap, besides vinyl? Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

2. kev1n

kev1n Member

i think you need to ask yourself what is your reason for wanting to wrap the car in the first place?

a good quality film generally lasts about 3-5 years

3. Peter Chastain

Peter Chastain My M3/LR is headed to the delivery center!

I have been told that a wrap looks good longer than paint and doesn't need so much waxing, etc. If that's not true, I probably would just go with premium paint and skip the wrap.

4. cpj777

cpj777 Member

I believe you are thinking of ppf rather than a vinyl wrap. PPF does keep the factory paint looking good much longer (protects against scratches to the paint). For example:
    The value of PPF (Paint Protection Film)

Vinyl wrap is primarily for changing the car's color. It is not as thick as ppf and doesn't last as long.

For the semi-permanent wax look, you probably want a paint sealant or ceramic coating.

5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

For brand new car don’t get vinyl wrap ..I have seen some where on removal it peeled the clear coat ...only reason to get vinyl wrap is if there is a color you want that Tesla doesn’t have ...I would as others suggested get the color u want than wrap with a PPF and ceramic ...if your goal is ease of maintenance that is the route ..if u want color change outside of Tesla colors than vinyl wrap