Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrap over PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up MY last week and love it. I already have a few paint chips in the hood and want to touch them up and then wrap the front half of the car.

The question I have is if I want to do a stealth wrap later should I wait or can I wrap over the clear PPF? I would assume you would be able to see a line where the half wrap ends.

You can wrap over PPF with vinyl, as a lot of people & shops do it all the time.

I've seen some people double-PPF their cars, so technically you can put on clear PPF now and then put on the stealth PPF later (or any stealth/matte vinyl wrap). It may cost a bit more with the labor involved since some PPF's are harder to install (Xpel Xtreme 10 mills is thick, and doing double that can be difficult for some installers), but it's doable.

This is good news. I had parts of my car clear PPF'd before I realized that people could change the color entirely with a 100% wrap. I've seen some pretty awesome choices at Superchargers - metallic wine, electric orange, holographic / rainbow...

You can wrap over PPF with vinyl, as a lot of people & shops do it all the time.

I've seen some people double-PPF their cars, so technically you can put on clear PPF now and then put on the stealth PPF later (or any stealth/matte vinyl wrap). It may cost a bit more with the labor involved since some PPF's are harder to install (Xpel Xtreme 10 mills is thick, and doing double that can be difficult for some installers), but it's doable.
Thanks. Do they remove one color wrap if you want to change it? Maybe every 3 or so years I will get a new color so it feels like a new car!

Most places & people won't add new vinyl over old vinyl, so yes you would need to remove any vinyl wraps before applying another vinyl wrap.

PPF is a different type of material and doesn't come off easily as a vinyl wrap. You can leave the car out in the sun to soften up vinyl, or use a heat gun, and just start tearing off the vinyl wrap from the car. With PPF, you need to use a steamer to really get the PPF to lift off the paint to remove it, and even then it's a lot more work than removing vinyl.

Therefore, you can apply vinyl over PPF and remove that vinyl over time and apply more vinyl when you want to. The PPF underneath will keep the paint protected the entire time and will act as an extra barrier of protection underneath the vinyl if you get any rock chips that rip the vinyl wrap on top.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
Most places & people won't add new vinyl over old vinyl, so yes you would need to remove any vinyl wraps before applying another vinyl wrap.

PPF is a different type of material and doesn't come off easily as a vinyl wrap. You can leave the car out in the sun to soften up vinyl, or use a heat gun, and just start tearing off the vinyl wrap from the car. With PPF, you need to use a steamer to really get the PPF to lift off the paint to remove it, and even then it's a lot more work than removing vinyl.

Therefore, you can apply vinyl over PPF and remove that vinyl over time and apply more vinyl when you want to. The PPF underneath will keep the paint protected the entire time and will act as an extra barrier of protection underneath the vinyl if you get any rock chips that rip the vinyl wrap on top.
I wasn't aware of this. Good to know. Learning new stuff everyday. Thank you.

Picked up MY last week and love it. I already have a few paint chips in the hood and want to touch them up and then wrap the front half of the car.

The question I have is if I want to do a stealth wrap later should I wait or can I wrap over the clear PPF? I would assume you would be able to see a line where the half wrap ends.
Hi there, we recommend checking out our Stealth PPF. It offers the same protective barrier as Ultimate Plus, but with the added benefit of giving gloss paint a satin-matte-sheen look and feel. Sort of a best of both worlds deal. The way we wrap vehicles, we tuck the corners so you can't see where ppf starts and where it ends. Safe travels!