Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapping - where should the wrap end?

Wrapping - where should the wrap end?

• Battery Day!!!! (what was the question again?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gigaron

San Bruno
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
My car was wrapped by Graphixlab in South San Francisco. The end of the wrap is at the edges of the panels rather than being folded over the panel edges so that wrap edges are hidden inside. Even the door handles are wrapped to the edge and not wrapped around. I foresee the wrap peeling off after a time since any brushing along the edge of the wrap will cause it to lose adhesion and peel off.

So where are your wrap edges?

Since I got Stealth PPF my edges had to be wrapped or it wouldn't look right. Even if I got clear PPF I would have them wrap the edges because dirt, wax... will stick to the edges of the PPF and that is not a good look either. If your edges are not wrapped around the body panel the most likey case is that they used a template and machine to cutout the PPF instead of doing a custom cut.

Color wrap or PPF?

Either way its bad, but I suppose you could make some kind of twisted argument PPF doesn't have to go all the way to edge. If it's a color vinyl wrap, then what the heck? White car, wrapped in a red wrap and now you have white showing at all the panel gaps? That doesn't quite make sense to me.

depends on the panel, each edge and what you are paying for.

most 99% of shops that charge an average price will not take off panels and cut to edge where its convenient vs wrapping around

the 1% will charge a higher premium to take off all panels and wrap around edges. check out premium auto styling on youtube

as long as it was correctly post heated and wrapped without tension, it will not peel off

We had our Volt wrapped in 2013 with 3M material, and it has held-up beautifully. They did not curl most edges very far over the edges of the body panels, and we've never had an edge peel -- even a little bit.

We're planning to wrap our MY at delivery, and I talked to the Orlando Service Center today, asking whether Tesla provides any kind of technical guidance about do's and don'ts of wrapping the Model Y, that I can give our local graphics shop. They said that they have never seen any official guidance about wrapping any model of Tesla. I told him that Tesla has started wrapping its own cars in China, and he said that he'd have to investigate that.

With radar, cameras, and ultrasonic sensors all over this vehicle, it would seem logical that the manufacturer would publish some sort of guidance to help us all. If plastic wrap material, in one or two layers, reduces the effectiveness of Autopilot and FSD, it could really hurt someone, and damage Tesla's reputation. Has anyone seen guidance for wrapping a Tesla?

Our color changing wraps went around an edge pretty much everywhere.

I thought I was being clever in buying the cheapest color (white) and then wrapping it. In hindsight black would have been a better base. If I was smart I would have asked my wife first and she would have pointed this out to me. But regardless it looks great. There are only a few places from the outside that you can see the white.

PPF + 3M 2080 is too much for the Ultrasonics. The PPF was cut away on the front sensors. The rear ultrasonics seem fine with the the 3M 2080. Radar hasn't complained.

Link to photos taken by OCDetailing that did the work.

Model Y wrapped