Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrong Home Address giving DashCam Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I put my home address into my Tesla it located my house a few hundred metres from where it actually is. This means that when it is parked at home it does not register that it is home. So although the DashCam is set not to record when home, it does, all the time, whenever I or a neighbour walk close by. How can I tell it where my home actually is so that this problem does not happen? Any help would be appreciated as it is inconvenient having to delete so many unwanted videos every day!

Reactions: RamsfanJim
You can of course stop recording by touching the camera icon (or indeed remove the usb stick).
From memory without going to sit in my car or opening the manual on my PC:
Delete you home destination from the destination list (swipe right?)
Set a pin for where you are when parked at real home and then set that as home.

..well it's something like that that i had to do 'cos I was in the same position: no address (no road name) and the postcode to my place out in the sticks puts the car 200yds up the hill instead of in the farm yard.

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
I think I've got a hack for this - but you can't do it with the App or Car alone - As Far As I Know - glad to hear if somebody has solved this.

Here is the issue:
I've tried a few things for this but I think you may be out of luck for now. As far as I can see locations must be navigable. So if you live somewhere that the car can't navigate to then it selects the closest place.

I am not sure that there is a way to increase the size of the geofence to turn off sentry via the car.

However - there is a workaround using the API to turn sentry mode on and off:

/api/1/vehicles/{id}/command/set_sentry_mode

Sentry Mode

TeslaFi might do it - I don't use it so can't confirm.

If you are fairly hands on with computer you could install adriankumpf/teslamate it is bundled with an MQTT broker and allows for custom geofencing, so you can put in co-ordinates.

If you are familiar with NodeRed you could "simply" send a message to the car telling it to disable Sentry when in the geofence.

However, the above is not for the faint hearted if you're not familiar with Linux, Docker, MQTT etc - by far the simpler route:

You can of course stop recording by touching the camera icon

Good Luck :)

TeslaFi might do it - I don't use it so can't confirm.

TeslaFi can not set Tesla's own Home location AFAIK (and TeslaFi gets very confused if you name multiple locations as either HOME or WORK.

I had trouble with TeslaFi accurately representing my home location (but TeslaFi Support fixed it for me, thanks :) ). The epicentre of my postcode is half a mile away (road is nearly a mile long, with a few houses scattered on it, all of them with the same postcode). The poor bloke whose house is ACTUALLY at the postcode location is fed up getting everyone's deliveries ... "Hi, would you have noticed if 1 KM of irrigation pipe had been delivered?" [True story :) ]

I set HOME on the SatNav is a junction nearby, don't want a thief to also know which door the house keys and alarm fob :( will fit. Car is too old for Sentry Mode, but things like "Car charging schedule" work on THIS GPS location, is that not the case for Sentry Mode Disable?

Thank you to those who have tried to help.
I'm pretty sure that your can only designate an address as "Home", not a pin on the map.
When I found the name the map gave to where I live it gave the nearest public road (which is quite near as the crow flies, but a long way away by car). So that was no solution.
The only two things that have worked for me are to disable the TeslaCam and to remove the USB stick.

Thank you to those who have tried to help.
I'm pretty sure that your can only designate an address as "Home", not a pin on the map.
When I found the name the map gave to where I live it gave the nearest public road (which is quite near as the crow flies, but a long way away by car). So that was no solution.
The only two things that have worked for me are to disable the TeslaCam and to remove the USB stick.

As stated I had this problem but it was a year ago so my solution has faded in memory but it did include moving the home location from where the map put it to my location parked in front of the barn.

it seems to save it as an address.

Will it take a Lat,Long pair of numbers as an "address" ?

I haven't used it, so no idea if it would work in this scenario, but TeslaFi has ability to disable Sentry mode at specific Tagged locations. You can definitely set Tagged Locations to a specific location, and then draw a circle of suitable diameter to create the "geo-fence" for that location (in TeslaFi)