Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrong Registration Numer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could not make this up! Just noticed that the car I picked up on Thursday has a completely different reg to the one communicated by Tesla!

I know... I Know, I should have checked but surely it is reasonable to assume they get something this simple right!

What the V5 is wrong too? you insure it wrong? pretty poor to say the least, could also mean someone else has a wrong number plate on too. What happens when they are so short staffed moving so many cars in such a short period of time.

Don't have the V5 as it is leased. Car is currently insured (or technically not insured I suspect) with the wrong reg

The same happened to me. Picked up a car (with Audi) a few years ago and the number plate was wrong with one character. Ended up getting 3 parking tickets and a knock of my door from the police (from another car related incident) asking if the car was insured properly. The council on the other hand couldn't care less that I had a registered my residents parking permit with the correct number plate using the V5C but driving around with an "illegal" plate and still wanted to issue the fine. Audi paid the fines and sorted out a new plate immediately.

So just an update. Phoned LV and gave them the new reg. They seemed happy. Just got an email from Tesla saying they are sending out new plates with the original reg on them!

How easy are plates to fit?

When I collected last week they said they were having issues with their number plate printer, and so had to give me a number different from the one they'd emailed the previous day. There was at least one other person collecting at this time with the same issue. In my case I just needed to call the insurance people and change the number, and wait for the new certificate to be emailed. Maybe they had this issue and forgot to tell you, although that is still pretty poor.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
When I collected last week they said they were having issues with their number plate printer, and so had to give me a number different from the one they'd emailed the previous day. There was at least one other person collecting at this time with the same issue. In my case I just needed to call the insurance people and change the number, and wait for the new certificate to be emailed. Maybe they had this issue and forgot to tell you, although that is still pretty poor.

Problem is, since I do not have the V5 (lease) I do not know which plates are right!