Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrong size 285/40/22 tire on car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not google the specs and load ratings and take it from there.

You didn't mention the brand, model or load rating of the tires so no point in guessing "how bad".

There are plenty of tires that will fit and work just fine even if they are outside Tesla OEM specs.

Why not google the specs and load ratings and take it from there.

You didn't mention the brand, model or load rating of the tires so no point in guessing "how bad".

There are plenty of tires that will fit and work just fine even if they are outside Tesla OEM specs.
I’m not talking about load ratting. I’m asking if it will try out or be bad for the awd system since my rear tires are larger in diameter than what I’m suppose to run. But the rear has some cheep off brand Chinese tires which are winrun in 285/40/22. My front are the correct oem 265/35/22 pirelli scorpion zero tires.

I’m not talking about load ratting. I’m asking if it will try out or be bad for the awd system since my rear tires are larger in diameter than what I’m suppose to run. But the rear has some cheep off brand Chinese tires which are winrun in 285/40/22. My front are the correct oem 265/35/22 pirelli scorpion zero tires.
The OEM tires on the current X are different diameters from the factory..... within a few % its acceptable.

Load rating is the more important factor due to the X's weight.

Attachments

• X Wheels.jpg
    X Wheels.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 31
The Tesla awd is two motors unlike ICE awd where the front and rear are coupled so it won’t damage hardware, however the computer does not know about the wrong tire size and thus may miscompute as slippage and give warnings or reduce power.

Here is some pictures. Rear have the bigger 285/40/22. It’s pretty much a 31 inch tall tire instead of the typical 30inch tall tire that suppose to be ran on the back. No rubbing.

Attachments

• IMG_6701.jpeg
    IMG_6701.jpeg
    539.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6697.jpeg
    IMG_6697.jpeg
    613.4 KB · Views: 21
The Tesla awd is two motors unlike ICE awd where the front and rear are coupled so it won’t damage hardware, however the computer does not know about the wrong tire size and thus may miscompute as slippage and give warnings or reduce power.
That’s great to know I want damage anything. In awd gas power cars they always say you can mess up the diff and transmission if you run a tire that is the incorrect size.