Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB: Chademo adapter w/referal credits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
Mods: placing this in charging. Feel free to move to for sale or general forum if you think it's more appropriate; I can't seem to access these via tapatalk?

I'm considering buying a second chademo adapter for our inbound MX so I can leave one in each car. At retail price it's not worth it, but at 50% off I'd do it. So, if anyone has unused referal credits and is willing to take .50 on the dollar, drop me a PM. Easy cash for you, cheap adapter for me.

I'd be interested in your calculations. How is $450 "not worth it", but half that amazingly is?

I rarely use chademo, and when I do it's on trips. So I should be able to predict my need and move the adapter I have between cars. For $450, I'll do that. But for $225, I'll say what the heck and put one in each car for emergencies.

I rarely use chademo, and when I do it's on trips. So I should be able to predict my need and move the adapter I have between cars. For $450, I'll do that. But for $225, I'll say what the heck and put one in each car for emergencies.

Isn't that the case for about 90% of CHAdeMO adapter owners? Charge at home, use Superchargers enroute, HPWC / UMC / J1772 overnight at hotels, and CHAdeMO if available on trips (where the other solutions aren't as viable)?

Heck, I'd like one at 1/4 price... or free... or pay me to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll take that deal if more than one person wants to do it!

I don't understand your assertion.

Buying a Model S CPO at $150k is probably not worth it, but at $75k it sure does.

How is that any different?

I certainly don't follow this logic... nobody needs a $75k or $150k car. It's an emotional purchase.

The market value of the CHAdeMO adapter is very firmly at $450, since that's what people pay daily. The CPO Tesla... nobody is paying $150k.

I think Andrew already explained why it makes sense for him, and that logic is solid. Same for me. At $450, I'm not a buyer for the very occasional use. It's "just not worth it" for something I might use once or twice a year. But at $225, it's worth it so I don't have to worry about worrying about borrowing one for some trip.

Getting anything at half price is always better than full. How does that logic not follow for you?

I think Andrew already explained why it makes sense for him, and that logic is solid. Same for me. At $450, I'm not a buyer for the very occasional use. It's "just not worth it" for something I might use once or twice a year. But at $225, it's worth it so I don't have to worry about worrying about borrowing one for some trip.

Getting anything at half price is always better than full. How does that logic not follow for you?

I agree with free or reduced price for almost anything!!!! I just didn't follow any logic how $225 even makes sense... you could rent a Range Rover. It was the cost calculation I was looking for, not the emotional discriminator.

I personally wouldn't take any serious road trip in the developed first world without the CHAdeMO adapter. I would have paid the original $1000 price for the privilege, even if I only used it twice per year.

I want the fullest utility possible from the car, and all the adapters in the world won't match the price of driving an oil burner for a year.

I think perhaps you're missing the fact I already own one chademo adapter? I will soon own two Teslas. So I can either share the one adapter, and move it between cars, or buy another and keep one in each car. Both are viable options for me. At $450 I'll share. At $225 I'll buy a second one.

I think perhaps you're missing the fact I already own one chademo adapter? I will soon own two Teslas. So I can either share the one adapter, and move it between cars, or buy another and keep one in each car. Both are viable options for me. At $450 I'll share. At $225 I'll buy a second one.

Oh... value of dimishing returns. Sure.

My value of the adapter went the other way; with one Tesla, I have two CHAdeMO adapters. I hate failures on dark, stormy nights, usually when I'm in a hurry. Yes, two UMCs, too.

I'm sure that there's an accountant somewhere who has calculated to the penny how much more cost effective it is to have only one engine on an airplane, and maybe one pilot (if any). My point is that there are intrinsic values for everything, that are different for each of us.

I don't want to be stranded at a charging station in my Tesla, nor do I wish to be fish food on an overwater flight. But, I'd like those features (dual motors, dual pilots, and dual charge cables) at the lowest possible price.

I also have two UMCs to protect against failure. I have a yearly trip that takes me deep into the north woods of Wisconsin. The ONLY charging there is via RV parks or 120v. I bought a second UMC before our first trip knowing that a failure would likely cause a 24-48 hour delay while I waited for a replacement to be sent overnight.

For chademo, I can't see getting stuck. I might get delayed when I'm forced to use slower charging, but not stuck.

I'm surprised there aren't any takers with referal credits yet. At some point you run out of things to buy, and they will expire. Easy way to cash out. Perhaps I overestimated the number of people who are in this position?