Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB Model S 40kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to purchase a used Model S with the 40kWh battery option. I am willing to pay $5,000 over Tesla trade in value for the right car. I am not too picky about options but would prefer one of the metallic paint colors.

Send me a PM if you are considering selling your 40 kWh Model S.

Thanks,
Tom

I am looking to purchase a used Model S with the 40kWh battery option. I am willing to pay $5,000 over Tesla trade in value for the right car. I am not too picky about options but would prefer one of the metallic paint colors.
Interesting. If I was buying the 40 kWh (back when), I wouldn't have opted for the metallic paint -- because I would be aiming for a "value" vehicle.

That said, I hope you find a seller and that you both are happy with the transaction.

Thanks,
Tom
It's going to be very hard if not impossible to find a 40kwh Model S for close to Tesla trade in value. We are talking about a difference of $25k+ here from a new base 60kwh car. Only a few hundred of these were made, FYI.

Thanks,
Tom

There is a blue 40kw (listed as a 45 kw) on AutoTrader here in San Diego. It's been listed for a while so I imagine the seller is trying to turn a profit. I've notice that people aren't in a hurry to sell as they've listed their cars for a profit.

Cars for Sale: 2013 Tesla Model S in Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92067: Sedan Details - 350141050 - AutoTrader.com

Though I can't remember what the MSRP of the 40's were..

It's going to be very hard if not impossible to find a 40kwh Model S for close to Tesla trade in value. We are talking about a difference of $25k+ here from a new base 60kwh car. Only a few hundred of these were made, FYI.

I think you are right, it is going to be hard to find a 40kW Model S. I was hoping to find someone who is looking to upgrade to a Model S with more range but most sellers are trying to make a profit from their cars. I love the Model S but I'm looking for a city car and don't need the range. I think my best course of action would be to find a 60kW version or wait for the BMW i3. Of course, I could settle for Nissan Leaf until the right car comes along...

So, what would be fair price for a 60kW version given that I would like to offer a seller a reasonable amount more than the trade-in value. Would it be MSRP - $7500 - ~15% depreciation?

Cheers,
Tom

I think you are right, it is going to be hard to find a 40kW Model S. I was hoping to find someone who is looking to upgrade to a Model S with more range...

Tom, as a 40 kWh owner, I agree that you will likely be very hard pressed to find a seller. First, us 40 owners already have upgrade potential with the car we have, since our cars have a 60 kWh battery pack with a software limitation. So, we can pay Tesla down the road to unlock the additional capacity if needed. Second, we had three chances to upgrade during the configuration process (when we first configured, when they decided not to make the 40 kWh battery pack, and again after we received our cars when Tesla sent an e-mail giving us an option to upgrade at the original cost differential), so everyone who has a 40 has already thought long and hard about their need for an upgrade. I would suspect that anyone who still has a 40 (me included) is using it exactly as you plan, as a city car.

Is there a reason you don't want to buy a new 60? Actually, just as I was typing that, I realized that you are in Canada, so you may be looking to buy used from the States such as not to pay the "Canadian premium." Makes sense.

Tom, as a 40 kWh owner, I agree that you will likely be very hard pressed to find a seller. First, us 40 owners already have upgrade potential with the car we have, since our cars have a 60 kWh battery pack with a software limitation. So, we can pay Tesla down the road to unlock the additional capacity if needed. Second, we had three chances to upgrade during the configuration process (when we first configured, when they decided not to make the 40 kWh battery pack, and again after we received our cars when Tesla sent an e-mail giving us an option to upgrade at the original cost differential), so everyone who has a 40 has already thought long and hard about their need for an upgrade. I would suspect that anyone who still has a 40 (me included) is using it exactly as you plan, as a city car.

Is there a reason you don't want to buy a new 60? Actually, just as I was typing that, I realized that you are in Canada, so you may be looking to buy used from the States such as not to pay the "Canadian premium." Makes sense.
I figure a new 60kW Model S in Canada would cost around 100K with taxes and necessary features. Seems excessive for a grocery hauler.

It is interesting that the 40kW never sold well before they cancelled it. Does it mean there is no market for a premium city car(50-60K)?

I figure a new 60kW Model S in Canada would cost around 100K with taxes and necessary features. Seems excessive for a grocery hauler.

It is interesting that the 40kW never sold well before they cancelled it. Does it mean there is no market for a premium city car(50-60K)?

I was looking forward to buying a 40 KWH this summer. I live in the city and cant justify 75K for a similiary equipped 60KwH version.
I dont need the extra range, really. Tesla lost a customer on this one. I will buy a used 60 KWH once prices fall to 45-50.

So, what would be fair price for a 60kW version given that I would like to offer a seller a reasonable amount more than the trade-in value. Would it be MSRP - $7500 - ~15% depreciation?

Tom,
It's just my opinion, but I don't think you'll get much depreciation on a 2-3 month old Model S. I think 15% depreciation would be excessive when it takes most cars an entire year to depreciate that much. I think a serious offer would be closer to:

$MSRP
- $7,500 tax credit
- $1 per mile
+ remaining value of prepaid service/warranty

All 40's are almost new, and most were delivered in June. They can barely be classified as used, and are very rare. Today these facts will likely contribute to a premium resale value.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Just as an aside in this thread (and I am sure that 40 owners are all aware of this) - you can charge range charge all the time every time and never have to worry about the battery range degradation. As it was posed to me (since you have a 60 battery anyway) doing so you will never charge the pack to greater than 67% in this manner which is well below Tesla's "range" designation.

FWIW

My car with the options I chose would be nearly $17k more today than what I paid (granted that's with extra and unnecessary range). There's no way I would sell it, but if I were to sell it I can't see it going for less than I paid. Especially not after 3 months. Best of luck with your search.

I didn't read all this thread but there is a 40 for sale on autotrader
Cars for Sale: 2013 Tesla Model S in Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92067: Sedan Details - 350141050 - AutoTrader.com
As usual, there are some errors in the listing...
  • Engine Hybrid
  • CD Player
  • "45 kWh" should be "40 kWh"
  • "Fully loaded" but no reference to the Tech Package or the Rear seats. And it's clear from the rear picture that it has the "No Tech Package" (black) rear diffuser.

Asking price: $69,999
Mileage: 2,500

Assuming you qualify for the Federal Tax Credit you come out $6,429 better buying a new vehicle and you'd walk away with "new" and a larger battery.

Assuming you don't qualify for the Federal Tax Credit, you'd end up paying merely $1,071 for the new vehicle with the bigger battery.

So either way, this asking price is a bit "aggressive".