Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wtf is going on with navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A fun new bug I haven’t seen before..

A trip with two automatic supercharger stops, nav keeps recalculating every 15-20 seconds. Blue line goes away, spinny wheel shows calculating…

Disabling avoid tolls or ferries doesn’t change it. Setting traffic time save threshold to 15 mins doesn’t change it. Disabling online routing altogether DOES fix it.

Restarting screens doesn’t fix. Anyone else see it?

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
A fun new bug I haven’t seen before..

A trip with two automatic supercharger stops, nav keeps recalculating every 15-20 seconds. Blue line goes away, spinny wheel shows calculating…

Disabling avoid tolls or ferries doesn’t change it. Setting traffic time save threshold to 15 mins doesn’t change it. Disabling online routing altogether DOES fix it.

Restarting screens doesn’t fix. Anyone else see it?
Mine just gave me this route, the new blue line would be the wrong way down a one-way Street. It should just go straight from the arrow to the 525 mark.
I travel this way a lot and it has never done this.before.
21 MX on 2023.7.20

Attachments

• 521680D6-BC47-4D89-BAC0-1434EC1CB4D9.jpeg
    521680D6-BC47-4D89-BAC0-1434EC1CB4D9.jpeg
    670.3 KB · Views: 88
I'm on 2023.20.8 and last weekend, coming back from Oregon, it did some pretty weird stuff I'd never seen before. Twice it had me stop at a supercharger with "0 minutes remaining to continue trip" as soon as I plugged in and twice it routed me off a mostly empty freeway onto side streets and then right back on the freeway. I have to admit the ensuing laughs did break up a fairly monotonous drive. However, in the last leg of the trip my evaporator coil iced up and the AC stopped working in 110 degree heat. I'll admit I only had to run the fan on high for about 15 minutes with the compressor off and then everything went back to normal, but there really wasn't any more laughing between me and my spouse for the rest of the trip, to be sure.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
@Shuttlecraft X , what year / model is your X? (Our signatures don't show any longer for some reason?) Just wondering if yours is one of the newer models that uses a heat pump (or an older one like my 2018 MX).

I'm on 2023.7.20 and nav route time calculation has gone whacky. If I add or subtract a destination, it easily gets confused and calculates completely wrong times now. Never seen this before. I have to delete destination, start over and it will usually calculate a reasonable time.

Last edited:
@Shuttlecraft X , what year / model is your X? (Our signatures don't show any longer for some reason?) Just wondering if yours is one of the newer models that uses a heat pump (or an older one like my 2018 MX).

I'm on 2023.7.20 and nav route time calculation has gone whacky. If I add or subtract a destination, it easily gets confused and calculates completely wrong times now. Never seen this before. I have to delete destination, start over and it will usually calculate a reasonable time.
2018 75D. Hmmmm, for me (on this last road trip) the time calculation was OK but the calculated arrival battery percentage was only accurate at the point I would finish supercharging but the second I started to drive it went a little wacky and the expected SOC at arrival numbers were clearly way too high. If I canceled navigation and then reentered it everything was fine.

Like you, I have the OG compressor and the evaporator did freeze up once during this trip (as I mentioned earlier). In fairness I think the AC had run continuously for 12 hours at that point in both high heat and humidity. I'm assuming (hoping) that in addition to moving to a inverter heat pump there have been other HVAC improvements in the newer model years.

AC freezing is due to low refrigerant levels. It is not unusual for a system to leak tiny amounts over time, and after 6 years it might need a bit of a top-off.

Now if the pressures are perfect (and you need a dual gauge setup to see both sides) then you might also have clogged cabin air filters reducing the airflow across the coils. There is an INTERNAL filter behind the glove box (what a dumb location) that handles the recirculating air, which many may not know about. It is not a tool-free change but can affect the total airflow quite substantially.

• Informative
Reactions: Shuttlecraft X
Check your navigation version, then go back to before these issues started and check it again to see if it has changed since then. Seriously, though, the main firmware version is unlikely to be involved in navigation behavior changes, and the navigation can update without telling you. I happened to catch mine going from 2022.22 to 2022.44 back in June (of 2023), so you can't just look at it and assume it hasn't changed because the version sounds old.